Help Accessing 'non-OS' HDD with Linux File System

zero.waste

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I am a new Linux desktop user (ubuntu 22.10) and have a question regarding drive access. I have a gaming laptop with two separate 2.5" SSHDs. One drive contains my OS (dual-boot) and I keep all documents, audio/video/photo, etc on the other drive. In certain cases, I have trouble seeing the non-OS drive. As an example, today I wanted to convert some audio files with VLC. In the VLC dialog where I would add files to be converted, I am only given the option to browse for files in my user directory, i.e. I cannot see any files in the non-OS drive. The same applies to usb drives, etc. I just use VLC as an example, but I have the same issue in any program where I need to navigate to files on the non-OS drive. It seems like a simple enough fix, but I don't know where to find a solution. Could someone point me to a resource that might help me understand the linux filesytem a little better? Thanks-in-advance for helping a newbie!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-12-06 11-35-55.png
    Screenshot from 2022-12-06 11-35-55.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 116

I think you need to add the non-os drive to your /etc/fstab if you haven't. I'm pasting the entry for my home partition just as an example.

UUID=fdfd7254-38cf-4d9f-91b6-1e14e4b5b0d9 /home ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 2

Regards,
--glenn

This strikes me more as a permissions issue. Do you have read/write access to the drive? Are you the owner of the drives?

You could also look up 'chown' and then try changing the ownership of the drive(s).

Members online

Latest posts