Help Accessing 'non-OS' HDD with Linux File System

zero.waste

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. I am a new Linux desktop user (ubuntu 22.10) and have a question regarding drive access. I have a gaming laptop with two separate 2.5" SSHDs. One drive contains my OS (dual-boot) and I keep all documents, audio/video/photo, etc on the other drive. In certain cases, I have trouble seeing the non-OS drive. As an example, today I wanted to convert some audio files with VLC. In the VLC dialog where I would add files to be converted, I am only given the option to browse for files in my user directory, i.e. I cannot see any files in the non-OS drive. The same applies to usb drives, etc. I just use VLC as an example, but I have the same issue in any program where I need to navigate to files on the non-OS drive. It seems like a simple enough fix, but I don't know where to find a solution. Could someone point me to a resource that might help me understand the linux filesytem a little better? Thanks-in-advance for helping a newbie!

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-12-06 11-35-55.png
    Screenshot from 2022-12-06 11-35-55.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 116

I think you need to add the non-os drive to your /etc/fstab if you haven't. I'm pasting the entry for my home partition just as an example.

UUID=fdfd7254-38cf-4d9f-91b6-1e14e4b5b0d9 /home ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 2

Regards,
--glenn

This strikes me more as a permissions issue. Do you have read/write access to the drive? Are you the owner of the drives?

You could also look up 'chown' and then try changing the ownership of the drive(s).

Members online