hello

G

graveyardrave

Hi,
I'm here to learn (quickly) about Linux.

This is my story:
I'm an IT consultant, working primarily with Windows systems, and the occasional Apple/Mac product. I have/had my own business for 2 years, which has done well, but not as steadily as I'd like. So I started seeking employment and found it with a company that does website hosting(among other things). Their stuff runs off of Linux servers.

I don't know anything about Linux! I've read some tutorials, have some bash cheat sheets, etc., but need more hands on practice with commands. Their servers don't have any kind of GUI. We SSH in and it's a black box with a blinking cursor.

What I want to do is install a basic version of Linux on my PC, so that I may practice doing stuff.
I built this computer, here are brief specs:
AMD FX 4100 3.6GHz Processor
16GB RAM
2 ATI Radeon graphics cards, crossfired together
900 watt PSU
Windows 7 Pro on a 100GB SSD (Samsung)
There is a 500 GB HDD (Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM) in there as well, intended for data storage.

I want to install Linux on the HDD. I would format it first. I would like to boot the computer, load Windows and then run a command to switch into Linux. If that's not practical, I'd like to have the choice at boot up to load Windows off the SSD or Linux off the HDD.

It's my intention to learn as much as I can about Linux, become awesome at it, learn how to do lots of neat stuff (including manipulate files between the 2 OSs), and then pay it forward.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Hey there - welcome to the forum! It's always nice to see someone getting into Linux. What distribution are they using mostly for hosting? I'd set up a server in your basement to practice on perhaps.. as well as using that pc with fedora (if they're hosting with centos) or ubuntu (if they're hosting with debian)..

Members online