Hello

Rehnus

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Everyone,
I'm a new member from India.

Exactly, I have joined because I'm not much familiar with the Linux Interface. I'm a teacher. Almost my work is done on Windows. I want to familiarize Linux with my student. I watched some videos and understand the Linux user interface. I want to get to know more about Linux.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums
Point and click GUI's are available in most distributions [just like Windows] but you have far greater control of your machine using the terminal, your biggest learning curve will be the way applications [we don't have programs] are constructed and some of the bizarre names they are given, and some terminology, we install a distribution [over 500 to choose from] with a GUI [desktop environment around 10 to choose from] It consists of a Kernel [core instructions] and the distribution builders then add the GUI and all the applications [they prefer] to enable you to run a productive system, BUT unlike Windows, with one size fits all, take it or leave it build, with the Linux family of distributions, its no size fits all, and you are free to install and delete any part of the system you don't like and replace it with something you do,
which distribution are you thinking of installing?
What is the make and full model number of the kit you will be using?

Hello @Rehnus,
Welcome to Linux.org forum, enjoy :)

Good for you, @Rehnus ! I try to introduce newbies to the different "families" of GNU/Linux (don't forget RMS!) but that has become somewhat debatable among average users. H2O, author of the utility script, smxi, explains at smxi.org the difference between Debian and Ubuntu (now with a capital U), for example. But apparently Shuttleworth wants to be called a debian distro, not debian-derived distro. I'll give ubuntu that, but without the capital D -- LOL! Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, Mandriva-derived, and Ubuntu may be called the "families" IMO.
Enuff of that!

Welcome!

Members online

Latest posts