hello

bouquetin

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
my name is fred, i am 42 years old,
I'm new to linux and I'm interested in linux because I need to install an open source mail server, I thought of postfix but I don't know at all, I'm interested in advice

Welcome to the forums
sounds like you have been set a bit of a task, the following may help

G'day fred, Welcome to Linux.org

Is this for use on a server?

Postfix is packaged as the default mail server in Linux packages.

written for Debian 7. It has since been tested to work with Debian 9.(2022)

It uses smtp (simple mail transfer protocol)

It comes already installed on Linux Mint 20.3, and probably a whole host of others.

hello, thank you very much! yes on a server, is it possible to install it on debian 10 ?

Hello and welcome! If you know nothing about Linux and nothing about mailservers it isn't a good idea to start with a mailserver setup because mailserver setups can get very complicated especially when you don't even understand the os your are wanting to setup your mailserver on. I would start by learning to understand the os you want to use to run your mailserver before attempting to setup a mailserver.

If you choose to not follow that advice anyways no one here is going to write out a step by step guide for you to help you with your setup. If you do want to go that route there are plenty of already written guides about mailserver setups that you can search for on the web but I don't think you would understand those either with your lack of understanding of Linux or mailservers. Choose the way of learning to walk before you attempt to learn to run, so start with a simpler project to help you learn Linux such as installing Linux and learning to work with Linux.

Good luck and enjoy your Linux journey!

Hello Fred,
Welcome to Linux.org Forums, enjoy! :)

hello, thank you very much! yes on a server, is it possible to install it on debian 10 ?

Fairly simple search :Google or DDG : debian 10 email server

i know the basic commands on linux
Your on the way then, if you Hit a brick wall then do start another thread with any particular problems you may find

Hi! and Welcome!
Now it's time to make Linux more than a sub-system!

Heed well the words of @f33dm3bits...

A mailserver is a complicated beast - especially when things break (and they will break).

These days I cheat, but that's probably not a path OP can take.

But we don't cheat, we find a workaround

I pretty much just cheat. I install a web hosting control panel of one type or another and that includes a mailserver with it. Then, it takes care of everything for me.

Hello and welcome! If you know nothing about Linux and nothing about mailservers it isn't a good idea to start with a mailserver setup because mailserver setups can get very complicated especially when you don't even understand the os your are wanting to setup your mailserver on. I would start by learning to understand the os you want to use to run your mailserver before attempting to setup a mailserver.

If you choose to not follow that advice anyways no one here is going to write out a step by step guide for you to help you with your setup. If you do want to go that route there are plenty of already written guides about mailserver setups that you can search for on the web but I don't think you would understand those either with your lack of understanding of Linux or mailservers. Choose the way of learning to walk before you attempt to learn to run, so start with a simpler project to help you learn Linux such as installing Linux and learning to work with Linux.

Good luck and enjoy your Linux journey!
I am new to Linux as well, the website you shared looks so good to me, thank you!

Members online

Latest posts