Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd please sign up again. Thanks!

Hello World

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by thanmustoki, May 16, 2012.

1. thanmustoki

thanmustoki Guest

Say Hello from Indonesia. My name is Oki. I hope I can learn many things in this forum, because I'm still newbie.:D

2. nashavi

nashavi Guest

hi , i am new as well . i just downloaded fedora16, using it on live cd mode now .. i have been using my laptop for a while on windows .. i have too much data that i cant affort loosing .. i want to use linux now . is there any way i can acheive that without having to format my system ? and yet get good performance ?

3. Rob

Rob Guest

Hey guys - welcome to Linux Forum!

4. Rob

Rob Guest

You can install fedora as a dual boot - which I can't remember if it will partition it for you or not.. I know ubuntu/mint will repartition your windows partition. With fedora, you may have to use a 3rd party program?

Someone who has recently done a fedora dual boot install will come along shortly I imagine to answer that ;)

Rob

5. Welcome to the forums, thanmustoki! I have been away for a little while due to school and work. It is great to see new members coming in while I was gone. Everyone is friendly and more than willing to help - I am sure you will enjoy your stay!

6. Darwin

Darwin Guest

The issue with partitions is usually memory allocation with Fedora - to manny partitions will also bring forth errors such as 'cannot create partition'.

A healthy amount of GB on your drive will always be an advantage, I believe but don't quote me on this - you should be allowed 1 extended partition and possible 2 or 3 partitions depending on your allocation. I'd just LVM :) Also this should help http://ask.fedoraproject.org/question/1669/windows-7-fedora-16-dualboot-installation

7. Melissa

Melissa Guest

Hi Oki and welcome! I am new as well as a newbie. I am currently using Mint. What are you using?

8. JayGould

JayGould Guest

I love your title, took me a second to get the joke (1am here!) but I did a geeky chuckle :D

Have fun and see you around the forums!