Hello World ! :-)

Oldhabbits

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there, I may be new to this forum but in fact I'm an old IT-guy on his retired fonds, seeking new things to fill up his new aquired time. Long time DOS, Windows, OS/2, Linux and MacOS user (yes, I used them all). Living in Antwerp, Belgium, I'm seeking a cozy place to talk about Linux and I will also try to help out seeking solutions to questions I read here. For the moment I'm running an iMac 2016, dualbooting MacOS 10.13 and Debian 11 Bullseye / SID. In advance, I apologize if my english is not completely up-to-snuff ;-), and know that my native language is Flemish (a southern variant of Dutch). See you guys around here ! :) With kind greetings, Eddy (aka Oldhabbits).

OP
O

Oldhabbits

Reaction score
Credits
Yes, it also was the first "app" I programmed using Turbo Pascal for DOS in the '80's ;-)
From there, my IT carrier booted (slowly like on floppies) :)

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
well @Oldhabbits i guess this is a cosy place to talk about Linux ; we are all pretty approachable and easy going all from different parts of the world and using different distro . Since you are from South Belgium if you bump into a guy with user name "Alien Bob" -slackware say hello

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
@Oldhabbits Welcome to the forums, you sound nearly as old as me [I am a hardware man defiantly not software ] I have been building/upgrading my own boxes since the days of the 286 although my first box was an IBM compatible no hard-drive ,Run everything from 5" floppies and print to save,..those were the days:eek::p:p

Bwiz

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You ain't old Eddy - other than young Dex many of the people you'll meet here are older, including members aged 85 and 86, 77 and so on. Plenty in their 60s, myself included. :)

Welcome to linux.org :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Yup... This is one of those rare sites where I'm not among the elders. Having been hatched in '57 means I'm pretty much a spring chicken compared to some of the rest of us!

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
G'day Eddy, Welcome.

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
You ain't old Eddy - other than young Dex many of the people you'll meet here are older, including members aged 85 and 86, 77 and so on. Plenty in their 60s, myself included. :)

Welcome to linux.org :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
You called? LOL.
Yes, it's me again. Sorry for not contributing lately - I have been looking in each day - but it is now "Golf Season" in the northern hemisphere.
BTW Welcome Eddy. Perhaps this old geezer can pick up a thing or two from you.
Old Geezer Tango Charlie

PS Had my 4th hole in one two weeks ago. 159 yard hole with a 3 iron.

70 Tango Charlie

Reaction score
Credits
Yup... This is one of those rare sites where I'm not among the elders. Having been hatched in '57 means I'm pretty much a spring chicken compared to some of the rest of us!
Ah yes, 57; the year of the famous 57 Chevy. Also the year this Old Geezer got out of the US Army, into which he had been inducted in 55. {Yes, there was an active draft back then}.
OG TC

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

"The Fast One" is still iconic to this day. One of these days, I might have to start a 'car' thread. Since retiring, I've managed to collect some great examples. They're not just asset that appreciate, they're assets I appreciate.

Most mornings I am not online. That time is reserved for hobbies. That's why I don't tend to stroll into work (moderating) until 13:00 or so.

OP
O

Oldhabbits

Reaction score
Credits
Thank you all for these warm welcome messages ! I've a feeling I'm going to have fun here and will be feeling right at home...

Last edited:

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

World

Reaction score
Credits
Did someone call me? ;)

Welcome aboard, Eddy!

By the way, I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest one here (about 4.5 billion years). :eek::cool:

Last edited:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Staff online

Members online