hello world

9daemon

hey guys. I guess I'll give a little backstory on why I'm here. I haven't been into Linux or anything like that long. a little more than a year. I've learned a lot in that time. at the end of last August I joined a popular "hacking forum," since I want to get a job as a penetration tester at some point. I thought it would be good to have a community of like minded people. it took me too long to realize that the forum was mostly crackers, script kiddies, and various petty criminals. I grew disgusted with it so I started looking for another place with people that share my interests. so that's how I came here.
my main areas of knowledge are security, networking, malware, and I can do some shell scripting. my primary linux os is Kali Linux. I look forward to contributing around here and learning as well.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
since I want to get a job as a penetration tester at some point
Do you think they will employ someone who is 119 years old?

(Australian sense of humour)

Welcome

it took me too long to realize that the forum was mostly crackers, script kiddies, and various petty criminals.
That is commendable :) (and I don't do patronising, as you will learn).

We don't have a great support base for Kali here, so your input will be very helpful.

Even I, who runs 80 - 90 Linux from the 5 major Families ... I have Kali onboard, but basically treat it like a lion in a pit in the Coliseum, feed it a Christian (updates) occasionally and leave it alone.

We'll look forward to your input and enjoy your Linux ! :cool:

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

9daemon

Do you think they will employ someone who is 119 years old?

(Australian sense of humour)

Welcome

That is commendable :) (and I don't do patronising, as you will learn).

We don't have a great support base for Kali here, so your input will be very helpful.

Even I, who runs 80 - 90 Linux from the 5 major Families ... I have Kali onboard, but basically treat it like a lion in a pit in the Coliseum, feed it a Christian (updates) occasionally and leave it alone.

We'll look forward to your input and enjoy your Linux ! :cool:

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
yeah well you pick up a thing or two in 119 years lol. I kind of figured you were either British or Australian based on your choices of words. why do you have so many linux boxes?

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
The flippant answers would be -

Why wouldn't you?

or

Because I can.

:)

The benevolent or Good Samaritan answer would be -

Within 3 days of blowing away Windows 7 in 2014 I was multibooting 3 Linux - Ubuntu, Mint & Zorin. From those days to this I have been helping people with their Linux. Having installed somewhere from 130 to 150 Linux, chances are I am either using their Linux of choice, or have used it. If not, I add it on.

To me, it is understandable, but not desirable, to say to a person "This works on Ubuntu therefore it should work on Mint." A simple example is

Code:
blkid
Needs sudo in Ubuntu, Debian and Manjaro, doesn't need it in Mint.

Medical - Psychiatric answer might be -

Because I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which I do.

I don't keep a Linux onboard that I don't like, or have some use for, hence I don't have 130 to 150, the 80 - 90 is after culling, but I have 16+ TB of storage spread over 3 rigs so am not short on space.

I could go on, but it is already a long answer to a short question - you'll get used to that (or not :confused:)

Cheers

Wizard

9daemon

The flippant answers would be -

Why wouldn't you?

or

Because I can.

:)

The benevolent or Good Samaritan answer would be -

Within 3 days of blowing away Windows 7 in 2014 I was multibooting 3 Linux - Ubuntu, Mint & Zorin. From those days to this I have been helping people with their Linux. Having installed somewhere from 130 to 150 Linux, chances are I am either using their Linux of choice, or have used it. If not, I add it on.

To me, it is understandable, but not desirable, to say to a person "This works on Ubuntu therefore it should work on Mint." A simple example is

Code:
blkid
Needs sudo in Ubuntu, Debian and Manjaro, doesn't need it in Mint.

Medical - Psychiatric answer might be -

Because I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, which I do.

I don't keep a Linux onboard that I don't like, or have some use for, hence I don't have 130 to 150, the 80 - 90 is after culling, but I have 16+ TB of storage spread over 3 rigs so am not short on space.

I could go on, but it is already a long answer to a short question - you'll get used to that (or not :confused:)

Cheers

Wizard
no problem. I'd prefer that over a short answer that doesn't explain things.

Staff online

Members online