Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Note: we recently updated out site software, please report any unseen issues - we do this often to insure your information is secure.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello, penguins!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Vencorr, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Vencorr

Vencorr New Member

Hi, my handle is Vencorr but my actual name is Nicholas George. I am a 17 year old living with ASD Level 1.

I live in the state of Missouri, and am going to college in the near fall. I graduated High School using the High School Equivalency test, getting a great score on my GED.

I am (I think) an average linux user that is currently learning web development aswell as some application development in the near future. I want to learn to develop and create open-source software for not only the community, but for any other user who needs what I maintain.

I have been using linux for a few years now. While I may not be using it consistently, I have been trying to use it more often than I did before. I am currently, as of writing this, using Kubuntu 18.04 for more of ease of use rather than advanced and complex things. I use it as a day-to-day desktop operating system. I don't do a lot of gaming, nor do I do anything that is only for Windows or even macOS. So, I use linux.

I hope to get to know you guys in the near future. Thank you for this forum!

atanere, CptCharis and wizardfromoz like this.
  2. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Well-Known Member

Hello @Vencorr & welcome to linux.org ... hope you enjoy your travels with us :)

Nicholas if I call you by name, do you prefer Nicholas or Nick?

I have Asperger's Syndrome, high functioning, so we may share some paths on the Spectrum.:p

If these good folk here make you a fraction as welcome as they have made me over the last 13 months I have been here, then you will enjoy your time!

Cheers

Chris Turner
    wizardfromoz ... that's DownUnder

atanere and Vencorr like this.
  3. Vencorr

Vencorr New Member

Hello! Nice to meet you. I usually don't mind what you call me by, as long as it ain't offensive or insulting. Nick, Nicholas, Vencorr, all fine by me, plus more. I will be honest about how I feel about the names though if there gets to be a nickname or two.

I was actually diagnosed almost a year ago. I was a late diagnosis because of issues with my father, but thank god it is over. I have noticed I have obsessive behaviors, social anxiety, and I don't understand things as easily as others. Hope you can find someway to relate to me on those! :)

Oh, I already feel welcomed by your message, plus the linux community as a whole has pretty much had a huge welcoming party from the feel of it. I have no doubt in my mind that this place is going to be great.

Thank you for your reply!

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.
  4. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Well-Known Member

Very likely, young fella. :)

I myself was not diagnosed until I was aged 43 - 46 years of age, would you believe? So at least you are getting the help you need now, at such an important time in your life.

Over three years under 2 psychiatrists, I had the following diagnosed:

• (Adult) ADD/ADHD
    • Agoraphobia (mild to moderate)
    • Asperger's Syndrome
    • Narcissism
    • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
    • Panic Disorder
    • Paranoia - Mild and
    • Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
    I call it AAANOPPP for short ;)

I'll share some funny stories sometime, if you are interested.

Approaching 61 now, I am very very happy, and self-manage and self-medicate.

A large contribution to my wellbeing can be credited to my wife of 20 years, Elaine. She has BiPolar Disorder and Panic Disorder, and a range of physical ailments as long as your arm. I am nominally her Carer, but it is sometimes a question of who cares for whom? :D

Anyway, welcome to the site, again, and enjoy your Linux.

Avagudweegend

Wizard

atanere and CptCharis like this.
  5. Vencorr

Vencorr New Member

Wow, that is a lot of diagnosis. I have actually started trying to get the help I need. Didn't really see it necessary until I got to a certain point in my life and now I am in the process of getting what I need. Haven't gotten far yet, but I plan on getting there.

I have gotten a small list of things I have been diagnosed with, but I have a feeling that will actually be getting larger as time moves on.

I would indeed, be interested in some funny stories sometime.

Wife of 20 years? That is pretty cool.

atanere and wizardfromoz like this.
  6. atanere

atanere Moderator
    Gold Supporter

Sorry to be late, but also want to welcome you to the forums, Nick! It's a great group of people here and we'll be glad to help you along in your Linux journey.

Cheers
    Stan

wizardfromoz and Vencorr like this.