Hello my friends I have general questions I wish I get helpful answers or advices

Ay3hm

Reaction score
Credits
I know it's stupid questions but forgive me guys
But after using win11 since dev version
I don't feel comfortable with it
idk
I just don't like it and my laptop meet all requirements...
To be honest it's good and more smooth for my laptop but it's ugly and chaotic made me feel it's more like Mac os
But now I have strong feeling to move to Linux I am curious about it so which distribution is good for me, and here is my questions
- is there way to install Adobe photoshop or is there apps doing same work
- is there way to install office (word, excel) or apps like it
- I want it for gaming also so I don't want to lose any performance I play games like overwatch so I want smooth game experience
- app that's control steelseries keyboard and control in my fans and gpu like dragon center

So which distribution you guys recommend cuz I feel am done with win11 + I want to learn coding I want improve myself

Welcome to the forums
1] there are several linux applications to edit pictures
2] most builds of linux come with open office [very similar to MS office I have used it for years]
3] depends on your machine spec.[ please tell us make and full model number]
4] there are various applications to control your hardware
5] the best build of linux is the one that YOU feel comfortable with [with over 500 different distributions you should find one] what suits Me, Jack or George wont necessarily suit you..

Bwiz

Welcome to the forums
1] there are several linux applications to edit pictures
2] most builds of linux come with open office [very similar to MS office I have used it for years]
3] depends on your machine spec.[ please tell us make and full model number]
4] there are various applications to control your hardware
5] the best build of linux is the one that YOU feel comfortable with [with over 500 different distributions you should find one] what suits Me, Jack or George wont necessarily suit you..

Bwiz
Thanks for answering you explain alot things and about my machine is MSI GS66 se
10750H
RTX 2060
16 ram
I play few games but most of the are multiplayer
Like I play overwatch on ultra with 150 fps
So I want get same performances on Linux
And I want to control in my rgb keyboard and my also my fans and my gpu app like dragon center

1) Don't throw away Windows. Keep it, in case you change your mind, and dual-boot for a while.
2) Adobe Photoshop is available online and can be used from a browser in Linux, https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/editor. There's also Photopea which is similar https://www.photopea.com/
3) Word and Excel etc are available online if you have an Outlook account.
4) There are a number of ways to play games on Linux - Stream. Lutris, Wine, PlayOnLinux...
5) Many Linux Distros have much the same capabilities - just some are easy and some are harder to use. Start with something easy like Linux Mint or Linux Lite

the key thing you will probably want to know is that if you install say LibreOffice on LInux:

1) Can you save documents in word format
2) When someone opens a .doc file created using LibreOffice; what's the "compatibility" like ? i.e will it appear the same when someone using Windows opens a .doc file create by LibreOffice on Linux.

Well i would say a year or 2 back docx wasn't completely transferable; I'm old school so always just go for .doc files; i would say now there is excellent transferability

Regarding Adobe - GIMP would be my choice for replacement. it has layers and can by the way even open up Adobe files. A year back i was sent Adobe files by a guy using Windows and as long as they send it in layers and not "merged down" then you can work with it.

What is one requirement is that its best if you do get sent an Adoobe , that they also send you in a zip the .ttf .otf font files , for the fonts THEY used so that you also have them on your system.

about my machine is MSI GS66
Hi now I'm not into gaming but had a look round, to be honest I dont know what the max refresh rate of your graphics would be in Linux Hopefully one of our gaming boys may pick this up [may take a few days as we are all volunteers and some only look in occasionally]

Hi now I'm not into gaming but had a look round, to be honest I dont know what the max refresh rate of your graphics would be in Linux Hopefully one of our gaming boys may pick this up [may take a few days as we are all volunteers and some only look in occasionally]
- I want it for gaming also so I don't want to lose any performance I play games like overwatch so I want smooth game experience
- app that's control steelseries keyboard and control in my fans and gpu like dragon center
How do you measure performance? Some of my games run at 80-100 fps, others at 100-120 fps, and others at 120+ fps. I really don't notice the difference as in performance and game experience when playing a game where I have lower or higher fps. You can use either Lutris or Steam/Proton to play games on Linux. Looks like Overwatch has got gold status on Lutris so that should work.
For your Steelseries keyboard you could try using this, for having more control over your hardware you can have a look at CoreCtrl and there is no DragonCenter for Linux but you could try using this as an alternative.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online