Hello Linux Members!

L

Lash540

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a book called Programming from the Ground Up by Jonathan Bartlett. In his book he makes reference to this site and how the reader, myself in this case, should go and sign up to find a local GNU/Linux User Group near me. He then states that these people are generally helpful to new people and will help me with everything from installing a distro to learning to use said distro most efficiently. Since this is a goal I've always wanted to achieve, that is the goal to be proficient with a GNU/linux distro, this seemed like a logical step towards achieving said goal. I purchased a physical copy of Mr. Bartlett's book seeing as I get a great feeling when physically turning a page vs swiping a screen. Although I am aware the book is 100% free to download online. In hindsight I probably could have just printed it with my home printer and still had that page turn feeling but ehhh it's a nice book and buying it supports those who create free software. Win win.

- Lash540

Very strange. The book was written in 2003, before this website existed...

Welcome to the forums! You may or may not find an active "LUG" (Linux Users Group) near you, but it you do have one it would be a good way to meet people and get started. If you don't have one, then Google is one of your best friends. Almost every question has been asked before, and if you phrase your search well you will be able to quickly solve most of your own problems with Linux.

P.S. Try NOT to ask, "What would be the best distro for me?" Look around at many different distros... download some ISO's and make some live DVD's or USB, and try them out. You will quickly learn which one is best for you and your hardware.

Good luck!

So arochester pointed out in another post, the book I picked up seems be seriously old and is probably out of date and not worth reading anymore.

Anyone have suggestions for a different book?

Members online

Latest posts