Hello! I am new :nerdemoji:

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone, I am glad I finally made an account here! I often can have a lot of questions that have simple answers which are hard to find with a simple duckduckgo search, so I am thankful I can ask them here as they arise. I hope I won't bother anyone with my newbishness too much, but from what I can tell these forums are newb friendly. I like photography, I studied theology, I am a young man hoping to work in the field of computer science! (Lord willing) I will be going to university soon! I enjoy working with computers, and I enjoy even more helping people with their computer problems! I also enjoy writing and photography. :) :D

G'day:D

Last edited by a moderator:

G'day CG, Welcome to Linux.org

Welcome to the forums
your learning curve has begun,
sit back, kick off your shoes, grab a beer, and enjoy the ride,.

I removed the text formatting.

If you turn the text black, it can't be (easily) read by those using the dark theme.

I removed the text formatting.

If you turn the text black, it can't be (easily) read by those using the dark theme.
thanks! LOL I made it black so that it wouldn't be grey, what format should I use in general? just the normal one?

Welcome @CataclysmicGentleman! What made you get started with GNU/Linux and what distribution is currently your daily driver?

Welcome @CataclysmicGentleman! What made you get started with GNU/Linux and what distribution is currently your daily driver?
Well when I started looking into the privacy standards of various applications I became concerned and started looking into open source applications, which led me to find out about open source operation systems! I also looked into some information from Edward Snowden about the NSA and Prism. So my desire to use Linux spawned from three things: 1 freedom, Microsoft demands you update, and to be frank I hate windows 11 so very much. I am tech savvy enough to disable some things and enable others on windows 11- I used Henry ++ firewall, and an app to make the start menu like windiws 7, but overall I like the idea of a more honest and free OS, also I can customize it all as I like which is quite satisfying! Secondly would be privacy: apps don't just randomly run in the background, and don't collect telemetry. This ties into freedom, but more so on the side of "If I want to uninstall anything, I can, or turn off anything, I can (On Linux). 3rdly would be just my general enjoyment of computer stuff. I am enjoying learning commands, feels so empowering! Instead of having to download a whole app to check my system information, I can just type into the command prompt a command and it will show all my hardware information. All in all, I feel my computer is "mine" when I use Linux, and i dont have to enslave myself to the giant corporate overlords.

Well when I started looking into the privacy standards of various applications I became concerned and started looking into open source applications, which led me to find out about open source operation systems! I also looked into some information from Edward Snowden about the NSA and Prism. So my desire to use Linux spawned from three things: 1 freedom, Microsoft demands you update, and to be frank I hate windows 11 so very much. I am tech savvy enough to disable some things and enable others on windows 11- I used Henry ++ firewall, and an app to make the start menu like windiws 7, but overall I like the idea of a more honest and free OS, also I can customize it all as I like which is quite satisfying! Secondly would be privacy: apps don't just randomly run in the background, and don't collect telemetry. This ties into freedom, but more so on the side of "If I want to uninstall anything, I can, or turn off anything, I can (On Linux). 3rdly would be just my general enjoyment of computer stuff. I am enjoying learning commands, feels so empowering! Instead of having to download a whole app to check my system information, I can just type into the command prompt a command and it will show all my hardware information. All in all, I feel my computer is "mine" when I use Linux, and i dont have to enslave myself to the giant corporate overlords.
If you like windows sevens look I recommend looking in to twister UI.

What GNU/Linux distribution do you currently use?

Last edited:
What GNU/Linux distribution do you use?
If your talking about

CataclysmicGentleman

Its
Fedora 36 KDE Plasma
Linux version 5.18.19-200.fc36.x86_64 (gcc (GCC) 12.1.1 20220507 (Red Hat 12.1.1-1),
GNU ld version 2.37-27.fc36) #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Aug 21 15:52:59 UTC 2022

in the signature

What GNU/Linux distribution do you use?
Oh yes, I use Fedora 36 KDE (Plasma) I will send you a screenshot :D

1674243345923.png

Fedora 36 KDE Plasma
Linux version 5.18.19-200.fc36.x86_64 (gcc (GCC) 12.1.1 20220507 (Red Hat 12.1.1-1),
GNU ld version 2.37-27.fc36) #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sun Aug 21 15:52:59 UTC 2022

in the signature
lol I misssed it, I normally don't focus too much on signatures. Thanks!

@CataclysmicGentleman Did you know Fedora uses selinux and that selinux was developed by the NSA?

@CataclysmicGentleman Did you know Fedora uses selinux and that selinux was developed by the NSA?
I don't know a lot about how it all works, I have nothing to hide, just a nerd who loves books and computer tech here.. haha.. I just don't like the fact that big corperations sell my information to make money. But thank you for the link, ill look into it sometime!

Does that mean fedora has telemetry/NSA spying stuff too? What distro do you use and enjoy best? I use fedora because it is easy enough to use, and also a good friend of mine also has fedora so he helps me out when I need it.

Does that mean fedora has telemetry/NSA spying stuff too? What distro do you use and enjoy best? I use fedora because it is easy enough to use, and also a good friend of mine also has fedora so he helps me out when I need it.
No, the NSA developed it but opensourced the code, I use Fedora myself as well.

Members online

Latest posts