Hello from the UK

S

ScottBouch

Hi all,

I've joined here as I'm after some non-distro-specific guidance with configuring Linux based hardware for web serving, and running a few other services... all will become clear as time goes on and the questions unfold...

I've been playing with various flavours of Linux for different purposes since the Raspberry Pi came out in 2012. I currently use Ubuntu Server to host my own website form home, Mint on my Laptop and PC, and Edubuntu on my kids 2nd hand laptop. even though I've done a fair bit, I still consider myself a novice, and will ask lots of questions.

I'm a controls engineer for industrial gas turbines, so in my work I only get to do high level PLC programming (ladder logic, and structured text..), so am teaching myself in my own time other approaches, such as anything Linux, and also been playing with Arduino's (C and C++) too.

Cheers, Scott

Welcome aboard mate. I will always be a novice. Are you a turtle?

paul

Hi Paul, thanks..

I really don't know how to answer the Turtle question! Always considered myself to be mostly Human!

Cheers, Scott.

Look up the international brotherhood of turtles, and you will understand:D:D. It was a joke of sorts, started by aviators in GB during WW2. Your Avatar made me presume that you were a pilot, sorry. I was looking for a very precise reply, or you would have owed me a beverage of my choice. The web page will explain it all.o_O

Paul

Welcome to the community!
Ladder logic eh?! That brings back memories of my BTEC in Computing and Electronics course at college - many years ago. There was an "Industrial uses of computers" module, where we had to set up and program PLCs using Ladder Logic - to control scaled down models of traffic lights and various other industrial processes. We also had to use 6502 assembly on BBC micros and PC's to program/interface with various bits of hardware..... Great fun!

That wouldn't, by chance, be the Mitsubishi Melsec plc would it?:eek: It has been over 18 years since I looked at one of those babies.:D

We were using a mixture of Siemens and Mitsubisi PLCs. Can't remember the model names/numbers though - college happened back in the early 90's, so it was a loooooong time ago!

Members online

Latest posts