Hello from the sunshine state.

S

Skyview

I have used Linux a few years ago, Mint Isadora, I think. I put it on an old computer and was getting to know it when the motherboard blew. That was the end of Linux for me until now.
A work computer had a hard drive issue and we replaced the whole computer because of a time issue. We had all the files we needed backed-up so the replacement went smoothly. The old computer, turns out, had a hard drive failure. I have purchased a new hard drive and want to install it into the old desktop box. To be able to use it as an office computer I need to have UPS capability and the brains at UPS says that their software is not compatible with Linux. Look like I need to have windows in there somewhere.
Here's what I want to do: Install Linux Mint and maybe some other version of Linux and if I can, get Windows free somehow, and also install that along side of the Linux installs, with the option to use whichever OS I choose to use that day.

Oops, prematurely entered the post before it was complete...
The machine is an HP pavilion p-7 1534. The mother board was replaced under warranty 11 months after purchase then the hard drive failed 18 months after that.
Since I have been out(of the Linux world) for a while, where should I begin to leave my options open?

Please explain UPS capability. On a computer it can stand for Uninterruptable Power Supply, but I assume you mean United Parcel Service. Exactly what capability do you require.

What is/are the Windows app(s) called?

The United Parcel Service Worldship customer service voice on the phone said that the language their program is written in is not compatible with Linux

... Here's what I want to do: Install Linux Mint and maybe some other version of Linux and if I can, get Windows free somehow, and also install that along side of the Linux installs, with the option to use whichever OS I choose to use that day.

You can get a FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/), but not a free Windows.

Sounds like you need to run a virtual machine, either VMware or VirtualBox.

Your employer will allow you to do all this?

Good luck!

Members online