Hello from the sunshine state.

S

Skyview

I have used Linux a few years ago, Mint Isadora, I think. I put it on an old computer and was getting to know it when the motherboard blew. That was the end of Linux for me until now.
A work computer had a hard drive issue and we replaced the whole computer because of a time issue. We had all the files we needed backed-up so the replacement went smoothly. The old computer, turns out, had a hard drive failure. I have purchased a new hard drive and want to install it into the old desktop box. To be able to use it as an office computer I need to have UPS capability and the brains at UPS says that their software is not compatible with Linux. Look like I need to have windows in there somewhere.
Here's what I want to do: Install Linux Mint and maybe some other version of Linux and if I can, get Windows free somehow, and also install that along side of the Linux installs, with the option to use whichever OS I choose to use that day.

S

Skyview

Oops, prematurely entered the post before it was complete...
The machine is an HP pavilion p-7 1534. The mother board was replaced under warranty 11 months after purchase then the hard drive failed 18 months after that.
Since I have been out(of the Linux world) for a while, where should I begin to leave my options open?

A

arochester

Please explain UPS capability. On a computer it can stand for Uninterruptable Power Supply, but I assume you mean United Parcel Service. Exactly what capability do you require.

What is/are the Windows app(s) called?

S

Skyview

The United Parcel Service Worldship customer service voice on the phone said that the language their program is written in is not compatible with Linux

A

atanere

... Here's what I want to do: Install Linux Mint and maybe some other version of Linux and if I can, get Windows free somehow, and also install that along side of the Linux installs, with the option to use whichever OS I choose to use that day.
You can get a FreeDOS (http://www.freedos.org/), but not a free Windows.

Sounds like you need to run a virtual machine, either VMware or VirtualBox.

Your employer will allow you to do all this?

Good luck!

Members online