Hello from Harbottle Audio

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I own an audio development company called Harbottle Audio. We are a small company, but we build some wicked audio systems as ODM and OEM facilitators that specialize in bass.
One thing that we have noticed is that very keen people use Linux, and to make sure that we are designing product that sounds good on multiple platforms, I am building a (have built) an HTPC that will hopefully be able to integrate Linux as its operating system. I am not a computer programmer or developer of any kind, I design audio systems. But making sure that our gear is compatible is important to me.

Thanks in advance for your help as I endeavor down this new path.

Cody
Harbottle Audio.

Hi Cody, and welcome! I'm sure that the friendly folks here will be glad to help you learn about Linux as best as we can. My only request is that you not use linux.org as an advertising platform for your business. We frown on spam of any kind, and we appreciate your cooperation in this.

Cheers

Hi Cody, and welcome! I'm sure that the friendly folks here will be glad to help you learn about Linux as best as we can. My only request is that you not use linux.org as an advertising platform for your business. We frown on spam of any kind, and we appreciate your cooperation in this.

Cheers
Thank you for the welcome! I can appreciate your concern. That is why I disclosed who I am and my reasons for why I am here in my greeting and no further. I am not a software developer or programmer of any kind, but I do have skills and understanding of some other technical things, and if someone here knows my craft to a certain degree then perhaps it might help in using illustrations as a teaching method. I don't really know because I've never done this before.
One thing that I do know is that very bright people are here. People that know and understand the value of learning. I like that. Also it seems that certain systems have different sound characteristics, so it is good forward thinking on my part to make sure that I am building stable and quality equipment that works for all people especially those willing to learn (kind of sounds like the Linux story to me).

Yeah, your approach was perfect, and we're glad to have you join us. We certainly can learn from you as well, and I already have! I have some electronics experience, but it was mostly long ago and my skills there are weak. I still remain very interested in technology, but it seems nearly impossible to keep up with such rapidly changing developments. I'm becoming an old geezer more quickly than I realized. :eek::D

Cheers
Stan

I know how you feel. It's really intimidating walking into this forum after reading it for a while. How sharp some of these cats are in this forum is just mind blowing.
Audio is my happy place and seeing peoples faces light up when they hear a system that I OEM'd is a very quiet pleasure that not many people get to experience, but the tech changes so fast and in big leaps. That quiet happiness is replaced by "oh crap,:eek: this guy wants to know how well my stuff sounds on his proprietary software which is ....... Linux based? o_O What the heck is Linux?"o_O So now I have to adapt. I mean it's good, I get an opportunity to expand into a wider market and say "this works, see". But I am starting at ground zero.

I know how you feel. It's really intimidating walking into this forum after reading it for a while. How sharp some of these cats are in this forum is just mind blowing.
Audio is my happy place and seeing peoples faces light up when they hear a system that I OEM'd is a very quiet pleasure that not many people get to experience, but the tech changes so fast and in big leaps. That quiet happiness is replaced by "oh crap,:eek: this guy wants to know how well my stuff sounds on his proprietary software which is ....... Linux based? o_O What the heck is Linux?"o_O So now I have to adapt. I mean it's good, I get an opportunity to expand into a wider market and say "this works, see". But I am starting at ground zero.
No worries, mate. We've all been there at one time or another. Welcome to the group, and feel free to browse the tutorials, but above all have fun!:D:D

Tell me, and I forget.
Teach me, and I may remember.
Involve me, and I learn.
Ben Franklin

Happy Trails
Paul

I REALLY like this.... I think I might want to talk to someone about product development after testing the sound quality. If you know of anyone who is a programmer and into movies, music, and games, please send him/her my way.

Cody.

I REALLY like this.... I think I might want to talk to someone about product development after testing the sound quality. If you know of anyone who is a programmer and into movies, music, and games, please send him/her my way.

Cody.

I don't know anyone offhand to recommend, but I'm sure there are programmers that browse through this site. If anyone is competent and interested, I hope they will send you a private message and see where it goes. :D

Me too. I mean holy crap. there are so many apps for Linux that support high definition audio and video its stupid. and here people are hamstrung to itunes (which charges and data mines like crazyo_O) and windows media center (which doesnt support bluray anymore :confused: and data mines like crazy o_O). Like why would I bother with either? I hope this works out... :D

If you know of anyone who is a programmer and into movies, music, and games, please send him/her my way.

Welcome to the community Cody!

I am a programmer by trade. Currently working as a C++ analyst/programmer for a UK based 2D/3D CAD/CAM software company. I have experience with a number of other programming and scripting languages. Most of my previous work has been in the Windows desktop applications realm - but I have done a few things on Linux too. I haven't done a lot with audio, video, or low-level/embedded stuff. But I'm always willing to put in some time to research/learn new things!

I'm also a musician.... Well... A drummer at least! XD

I'm not sure if this has any relevance with what you are doing - I assume you are only concerned with getting awesome quality playback. But on my previous laptop, I had a basic home-recording setup using Ardour and LMMS (free-software DAW's that are similar to Pro-Tools, Cubase, Logic etc.) with a real-time patched Kernel for low-latency audio recording.
For microphone/DI input - I used a cheap Pro-Tools USB audio interface - A Digidesign MBox2 Mini. Surprisingly drivers for it are built into the kernel, so it was recognised a few seconds after it was plugged in. For dealing with MIDI I also borrowed a USB MIDI interface from the band (I forget which make/model) - and that worked out of the box too.

I was also using JACK - Jack Audio Connection Kit - to route the various audio and MIDI sources through different ports/programs/inputs/outputs.

Now, I'm no expert with it. Far from it! I'm certainly nowhere near professional level, but I could at least use it to record and demo ideas for the rest of the band. And I haven't used it since I got my new laptop a couple of years ago - I just didn't get around to re-installing and setting it all up again, heh heh! XD But my point is - I do have some experience using some of the more advanced audio software available on Linux.

I'm always willing to help out with any Linux related questions you might have here. I might also be able to help out with writing some code - at least as long as my work, band and family schedules permit me to do so!

Once again, welcome to the community!

@JasKinasis
I was a drummer too! I dont play anymore for personal reasons.
I have a thought for some software that could bridge the gap between high-end studio and home theater use as well as offering cd and mp3 to highdef playback with dvd and/or bluray support. I realize that bluray is tricky but vlc has a plugin that uses it so it cant be impossible.
Anyway, if you are interested, contact me through my website, just google my profile name (im not sure if i can give my business info on the forum, i dont want to upset people)

Members online