Hello from Croatia

I don't dislike foreign language on the public forums, but in my mind I should discourage it because it makes my "job" of moderating more difficult. If there were a lot of unknown languages used, I would spend too much time processing through Google Translate. It's more about making sure that illegal things are not going on than worrying about gossip, but there have been extremely few instances of anyone promoting or soliciting anything illegal (thank goodness).

EDIT: Ummm, maybe excepting the spammers. If spamming isn't illegal, it ought to be. It is a daily battle by all the staff to keep the boards clear of that junk. :mad:

Cheers
Stan, actually I was referring to speaking aloud. It seems to bother many people to hear it. They seem to be a bit paranoid about it.

Last edited:

Hi all, I see I have some catching up to do... First I would like to reflect on vp9ks post, so Hi Paul, and wow, you've really saw some world... That's something we have seen only in movies here, seriously. You're story made me think about my childhood, a lot. My father was Dalmatian. Dalmatia is a coastal region in Croatia, that's where the city of Split is. I know the city of Split very well, I have friends there... When I was a kid, every year, almost, during the war I was stuck inland for a few summers, I would spend the whole summer at my grandma's on the shore, little further down the coast from Split to the south. I remember gazing at the island which lay in front of me and because it seemed so distant, I thought it was Italy I'm seeing (Those were the days :)). It was actually the island of Brač, some idk, 20 km of the shore I was seeing. Back then it was just Italian land for me, but, many years later I made myself look like a city redneck when I came across two older guys with small children in the streets of that same island. Now, they've stopped me and asked me something in Polish or Slovak, as I thought, while they ran some kind of discussion between themselves. And while I was trying to figure out what the heck they were asking me I've noticed that the way they've acted and spoke between themselves was very familiar. They acted like Dalmatians, but they spoke, Polish? They must be Poles, everything else was just a coincidence, I've concluded... So I've addressed to them in English. I apologized to them for not speaking their language, and asked them politely (mom, lay off) if they could ask me their question again, this time in English. At first, they looked confused, so I got confused. Then they became red in their faces and started talking to me like Dalmatians (yelling at me) in Polish? Or what? And I was completely lost at that moment, the two five year old kids were looking at me with their big brown eyes in wonder, those two dinosaur tourist from Poland or from wherever (I started not to care) were yelling at me, I was lost... And then I started to recognize words, because they started talking slower... It started to sound like Croatian, kind of... So we managed to set up some kind of communication, and I've managed to understand them, they were asking me where they could buy some ice cream for the little ones, and I've told them... They were so amused with what just happened that they stayed in front of me talking among themselves in their "native language" and laughing loudly, at me. Then they asked me from where I was, then they laughed again, so I said to them that I really have to go and if they don't need anything else I'm off. They said no we're good, thank you, take care and continue to laugh at me... The "Poles" were islanders from some small village in the inland of Brač, and they've spoke a certain dialect which even other islanders had trouble to understand, so I didn't had a chance... So, here, you don't have to be a foreigner to get that kind of a treatment... Oh, and my childhood friend payed me a visit yesterday. He lived in Usa for a short period of time when he was a kid, his mom and sister pulled him there with them after the divorce. So I've asked him how was it for him there, being a foreigner there and all that... He told me that everyone was ok to him, they have told him numerous times that his English was excellent, the only thing that bothered him there was he always had to answer a lot of questions they were asking him and the fact that you had no freedom of moving around as an juvenile, which is taken as normal here. He goes there now and then to pay them a visit...

P.S.
There are some interesting facts about the city of Split I din't tell, I will, there will be enough of time for that. I just have one more thing to ask you Paul, regarding the "Happy Trails" part. Does that has anything to do with a certain band called Quicksilver Messenger Service? One of my favorite bands from that era...

Cheers,
Marko (that's my name)

Hi aif I misspell l, I see I have some catching up to do... First I would like to reflect on vp9ks post, so Hi Paul, and wow, you've really saw some world... That's something we have seen only in movies here, seriously. You're story made me think about my childhood, a lot. My father was Dalmatian. Dalmatia is a coastal region in Croatia, that's where the city of Split is. I know the city of Split very well, I have friends there... When I was a kid, every year, almost, during the war I was stuck inland for a few summers, I would spend the whole summer at my grandma's on the shore, little further down the coast from Split to the south. I remember gazing at the island which lay in front of me and because it seemed so distant, I thought it was Italy I'm seeing (Those were the days :)). It was actually the island of Brač, some idk, 20 km of the shore I was seeing. Back then it was just Italian land for me, but, many years later I made myself look like a city redneck when I came across two older guys with small children in the streets of that same island. Now, they've stopped me and asked me something in Polish or Slovak, as I thought, while they ran some kind of discussion between themselves. And while I was trying to figure out what the heck they were asking me I've noticed that the way they've acted and spoke between themselves was very familiar. They acted like Dalmatians, but they spoke, Polish? They must be Poles, everything else was just a coincidence, I've concluded... So I've addressed to them in English. I apologized to them for not speaking their language, and asked them politely (mom, lay off) if they could ask me their question again, this time in English. At first, they looked confused, so I got confused. Then they became red in their faces and started talking to me like Dalmatians (yelling at me) in Polish? Or what? And I was completely lost at that moment, the two five year old kids were looking at me with their big brown eyes in wonder, those two dinosaur tourist from Poland or from wherever (I started not to care) were yelling at me, I was lost... And then I started to recognize words, because they started talking slower... It started to sound like Croatian, kind of... So we managed to set up some kind of communication, and I've managed to understand them, they were asking me where they could buy some ice cream for the little ones, and I've told them... They were so amused with what just happened that they stayed in front of me talking among themselves in their "native language" and laughing loudly, at me. Then they asked me from where I was, then they laughed again, so I said to them that I really have to go and if they don't need anything else I'm off. They said no we're good, thank you, take care and continue to laugh at me... The "Poles" were islanders from some small village in the inland of Brač, and they've spoke a certain dialect which even other islanders had trouble to understand, so I didn't had a chance... So, here, you don't have to be a foreigner to get that kind of a treatment... Oh, and my childhood friend payed me a visit yesterday. He lived in Usa for a short period of time when he was a kid, his mom and sister pulled him there with them after the divorce. So I've asked him how was it for him there, being a foreigner there and all that... He told me that everyone was ok to him, they have told him numerous times that his English was excellent, the only thing that bothered him there was he always had to answer a lot of questions they were asking him and the fact that you had no freedom of moving around as an juvenile, which is taken as normal here. He goes there now and then to pay them a visit...

P.S.
There are some interesting facts about the city of Split I din't tell, I will, there will be enough of time for that. I just have one more t anything please forgive me. The happy trails is from an old tv showwith Roy Rogers and Dale Evans.
At the end, they would sing Happy Trails to you, till we meat again. It semed like a nice close for a conversation, so I adopted it for my own use. This tablet is totally unusable for this, so I will not try to do any more until I can get to a real keyboard.
Happy Trails
Paul

hing to ask you Paul, regarding the "Happy Trails" part. Does that has anything to do with a certain band called Quicksilver Messenger Service? One of my favorite bands from that era...

Cheers,
Marko (that's my name)
Hello Marko. I am using a tablet computer right now, so I

Well the tablet did me in! It lost most of my posting. RATS! I will attempt to get it right, although I am stil using the tablet. It is a Samsung Galaxy tab 2, 7 inch screen. Not as much fun as a full sized keyboard, especially with fumbled fingers, nyuk, nyuk! The happy trails is from an old tv show, the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans show. At the end they would sing Happy Trails to you, till we meet again. It seemed to be such a nice way to end a conversation, that I adopted ot for myself.
Happy Trails,
Paul
PS This simulated keyboard SUCKS!

Ok Marko,
I'm back on the full keyboard now. I said that it was an old show. It was from back in the days of black & white tv,:eek: in the same era as "Dobie Gillis", "Sky King", "Sea Hunt", and one of my personal favorites, "Whirly Birds".:) If you are familiar with the show, then you know "Nelly-Bell" the jeep, and the quote "Mustard and Custard, everything happens to me!"

The full words to that song are:

Happy trails to you, until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smiling until then.
Happy trails to you, till we meet again.

Your story about the island made me remember about my youth. I was born in a the City of Eastport, on the coast of Maine. It is the Easternmost city in the US, and the island of Campobello New Brunswick lies just to the East of it, in the Bay of Fundy. I remember one foggy summer morning, standing on the breakwater with a couple friends. We were observing a tourist family as they explored our waterfront, and discovered the fishing boats tied up there. Their young son was standing near us when Campobello started to loom through the fog. I said to my friends "England seems kinda close today".o_Oo_O He took the bait, and ran to his parents yelling "Hey look, that is England". We received a few dirty looks from his parents, but it was worth it!:D:D

Boy, we are really digging up the past now, eh?:cool:

Happy Trails,
Paul

Frank Herbert ... The Dune series.

Seems like your joining us has got a chit-chat corner, Fin_ ? :p

I am with Paul ( @VP9KS ) 100% and then some - especially in France, where they can be almost as parochial as some Anglos. We talk here in Oz about the "Ugly Australian" or the "Ugly American" or the "Ugly Pom (British)" and these are people whom travel and expect everyone to speak English. Why bother travelling?

My sister (two years older) started high school learning French & German and has now lived in France for over 17 years. The French can't tell she is Australian.

When I started high school in 1970, it was the first year they conducted Japanese classes and I chose that, which pleased my father who visited Expo Japan in Osaka for work purposes. Did that for 5 years and in my final two years also took up an elective on Bahasa Indonesia, which also basically covers you with Malay.

In University, I went straight into 2nd year Japanese because of RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) but thus began to run out of Japanese subjects before completing my degree, so took up Mandarin Chinese (Beijing Dialect) for the last 18 months. Loved it.

I am a firm believer that if our children become multilingual and learn foreign cultures as well, then wars might not prevail.

As for the science fiction and science fantasy books, they take us into a fertile world of imagination, and what is Linux if not about imagination and adventure?

Cheers

Wizard
Wiz,
Do you remember Heinlein's take on war?
In his first book, "A Time For Love" the law was that if congress wanted to declare war, it had to go up for a National Referendum. If you voted for war, you had to report for military duty right then.:eek: If you did not vote, you were next to report for military duty. ;) Last to report for military service were the people who voted against going to war. :cool: He said that there were very few times when the country went to war. I wonder why?:confused:

Been there, done that, got the t shirt. Happily, survived!! Don't want to go any more!!

I shake my head and chuckle when I see these "arm chair" computer war fans, and wonder "how long would they survive in a real war"? There are no second, third, or fourth tries in the real thing. There I go on the soap box again!

In "Starship Troopers" you did not get full citizenship, meaning the rights to both vote and hold public office, until you completed a term of military service. Anyone who wanted to become a citizen could serve. No matter what your abilities or handicaps, they would find a job for you to do, so that you could complete the required term. The catch was that if a war broke out, your term changed to be the end of the war. You could quit at any time, but you had no second chance to become a citizen. It seems to me that should be the way it works, but it would never fly.:( I think that there would be fewer wars if it did.
HMM, I just got back on the box again, didn't I?

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

and regarding the user experience on tablets, I can only say I know how it feels, my condolences... :) And hm, how do I put this... Regarding those Tv shows you've mentioned, all of them... I thought "Alf" was ancient. :confused: But, I've checked all those shows and "Whirlybirds" and "Sea Hunt" seem familiar, and "Dobie Gillis", I think I "remember" that show, actually the dark haired guy with goatee seems familiar to me... I guess I saw him on Tv, or something :p. And yeah, I've discovered emoticons :cool:. Now, I'll tell you which ancient American Tv shows I remember the most, those are "Alf", "Full House", "Beverly Hills" :D:D:D, sorry I couldn't resist... Now for real, one of the oldest I remember was "M.A.S.H", than "Magnum, P.I.", then there was that super clumsy blond detective... I found him, it was "Sledge Hammer". I wanted to be like him :D:D:D, and a much more, but I forgot their names, I barley found "Sledge Hammer" because I didn't saw those shows for years, but there was a lot of Chuck Norris and bud Spencer on the Tv, and British and Australian Tv shows and movies, it was long time ago...

""England seems kinda close today"
:):):):D:D:D That was a good one, nice move... :D:D:D thanks...

"Boy, we are really digging up the past now, eh?:cool:"
We sure are, that's a cool thing, if we didn't, I would never heard of "England" prank, I'm still grinning to that one...

Anyway, cool, you've enlightened me a bit, made me laugh, actually, I can't stop laughing, because I've been there. Thanks again...

Cheers
fin_ (it's shorter, it was shorter before I wrote this:rolleyes:)
Then;
Cheers
Marko

Hi Wizz,

and sorry for taking my time to reply to you, I wrote you an reply on Friday, but before I was sure I can post it I ran out of time, my nephews came for an extended weekend and everything went, somewhere... Don't get me wrong, they are super cool, when they don't move too much :):):). Anyway, where was I? Oh, right, first...
Seems like your joining us has got a chit-chat corner, Fin_ ? :p
Yeah, cool, isn't it? :):):). I'm still seeing England from Paul's post, :D:D:D, that brings back a lot of good memories, they look nicer now than then, but it is what it is...

"I am with Paul ( @VP9KS ) 100% and then some - especially in France, where they can be almost as parochial as some Anglos. We talk here in Oz about the "Ugly Australian" or the "Ugly American" or the "Ugly Pom (British)" and these are people whom travel and expect everyone to speak English. Why bother travelling?"

I understand, but, as I live in a Country where "the world comes to you" :p(right):);), I've met a lot of people from other cultures, also known as foreigners. A lot of people from English speaking area come here, Brits, Americans, Australians, Brits, New Zealanders, Irish (a lot of Brits as you can see :p, that was a typo). I understand what you are talking about, but I could say the same for my compatriots, we are not all equally eloquent, but that's just the way some things, sorry, people are... It is what it is... All in all, I only once had difficulties in understanding what an English speaker was telling me, the lad was Irish and he was so drunk that he could barley stand, but his compatriot wasn't, so he was the "translator" there... So, to conclude this part, I'll say "it is what it is, you can't blame people of being people, I guess..."

"My sister (two years older) started high school learning French & German and has now lived in France for over 17 years. The French can't tell she is Australian. & especially in France, where they can be almost as parochial as some Anglos"

I would choose France over Germany for living also, but I like it here :p;):).

Regarding French and French people, Frenchmen... I wrote just about this on Friday, but forgot to save it. So I have to do it again.
First, I wold like to say that I have difficulties in seeing differences among people (I'm not talking about cultural differences). But the truth is that, when you remove the "filters" you're looking through and look at any man, you start to notice that you have more in common with them than you don't. We are all driven by the same needs, and the influences from the outside or the inside world affect us in the same way. Of course, within the context of the situation. I guess, we really are all members of the same breed.

So regarding Frenchmen and their English, when they speak it... They really do speak it, sort of... They can't get rid of their French accent, it's just impossible for them. Their speech reminds me of a certain British Tv show from 80' called "Alo, Alo!". That's it. When I speak to Frenchmen in English, I like to say to them "Wow, I didn't knew that I understand French. :p:cool:" They laugh at that because they are aware of their accent. Few years ago, a friend from a friend was here, in Croatia for a few days. He was French. Cool guy, pretty clumsy (perspective is in the eye of the observer), but a really nice guy... He spoke English as his 2nd language. With heavy French accent, and barley. He went with us everywhere, like we grew up together, the only thing that reminded us that we didn't, was the language barrier. I remember once we were on some crafted beer festival and he was gazing at the girls the whole time. So I came to him and told him that "Croatian girls like guys with French accent a lot and that he, as one of them, had pretty good chances with girls because of it". I told him "You just have to go to the girl and start talking to her, and that's it." He went missing for about two hours. I started to worry... Then he came back looking tired and unwilling to speak. But without a scar, untouched. After a while, when I saw he started to come to his senses, I've asked him "What happened? How did it go for you?" He told me that Croatian girls don't care about French accent... :):):) :oops:I felt bad for him, as I saw on him that he really tried to start a communication with local girls. Anyway, he was of better luck on the shore, summer and all that... You only live once mon "cherrrie". ;) Oh, and to add to this story, my friend, the guy who brought the Frenchmen here, if I remember his story well, once needed about two months to figure out about what our Frenchmen was telling him. The story goes that they were speaking about pets, and the Frenchmen used the word "amsta" a lot. So it was "amsta" this, "amsta" that... And my friend, also born to be mild (great guy), asked him after two months, what the heck was that "amsta" he was talking about. And he got an answer in the form of question "What do you mean, what is amsta? Well amsta is an amsta, you know, an amsta." In the end he managed to figure it out by himself, it was a story about a certain hamster. :):):) I can't even write how he pronounced the name of a certain place here, on the shore, but I had to ask our mutual friend what the heck is "Vdjiče"? They were Vodice.

So, next time when you meet an parochial Frechmen, show him this post and tell him he can use the Google translate to see what is in it. ;) (No pun intended)

"When I started high school in 1970, it was the first year they conducted Japanese classes and I chose that, which pleased my father who visited Expo Japan in Osaka for work purposes. Did that for 5 years and in my final two years also took up an elective on Bahasa Indonesia, which also basically covers you with Malay.

In University, I went straight into 2nd year Japanese because of RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) but thus began to run out of Japanese subjects before completing my degree, so took up Mandarin Chinese (Beijing Dialect) for the last 18 months. Loved it."

That's cool. And logical. From my perspective, those languages are pure exotic. And they seem very hard to learn. I have to ask you, how different those languages are when compared to each other? I would expect them to be different languages that have a lot in common among themselves. Like all Slavic languages. I'm guessing here. How much did I miss?

"I am a firm believer that if our children become multilingual and learn foreign cultures as well, then wars might not prevail."

I agree, knowledge is the only way up, the only right way. There are no dumb people, there are just people who have a certain amount of knowledge and those who don't.

"As for the science fiction and science fantasy books, they take us into a fertile world of imagination, and what is Linux if not about imagination and adventure?"

If I try to add something here, I'll just spoil it, again, well said...

Sorry for the amount of text, I've tried to make it less, but I just suck at that. I didn't tell even half of what I wanted, but there is time for that...
Sorry once again Wizz,

Cheers
Marko

P.S.
Galadriel is one cool chick ;)

How could all these Tolkien-lovers NOT be language lovers also?!?!? :cool::D

My little small town high school was only one of two in the state that offered Russian language, and I took three years of that (plus some extra curricular activities to absorb more of the culture too). Thinking the military might take advantage of my skills, I enlisted with a guaranteed job as a linguist. What I failed to get in the guarantee was my choice of language... that landed me in Korean language training for a full year of full-time school. And then, of course, off to Korea where I spent just over two years before leaving the service. It was a great time and a great experience, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the Korean people.... and the food. I still take short road trips near my home to visit Korean restaurants.

Quiz: Has anyone guessed the Tolkien significance to my user name, "Atanere?" It is my own cobbled together word taken from Quenya dictionaries found on the web. Atan=man and ere=steel.... so "man of steel" (Superman). :D Then I have several personal reasons for the association with Superman, one being that I work in a steel mill.

Cheers

Hi atanere,

"How could all these Tolkien-lovers NOT be language lovers also?!?!? :cool::D"
Well indeed, it seems that it is inborn with us

so you've studied Russian, privet then ;) (I don't speak Russian, i just remember the word "privet" from one forum, back then I thought that it meant private :D:D:D). And Korean... Another tongue and ear breaker from my perspective. And, Korean people, I like them too... Here's why.

Koreans have became an domicile population here, it started with some Tv show that was very popular there, and it was filmed in Croatia. Afterwards, they started to come here in greater numbers, and now they are considered to be Croats. I never heard a bad thing being said about Korean people from my compatriots, only the good things, they really are something... Now, where am I in this story? Well, my story is dating from time when there wasn't that much of Korean compatriots in Croatia. It was early January, holiday times... I was at home with few of my friends, we were just hanging around, killing time... And then my doorbell rang. I got up thinking that it was either someone from the neighbors or from those people who fill your mailbox with flyers and stuff. So I let that someone in the building and sat back with my crew.
And after a minute or two, someone asked me "Is that someone knocking on your door?" And I sad "No, I don't expect anyone." Then I heard the knocking. So I got up, went to the door and opened it. It's hard to say what I have expected to see, but I never thought that I'll see two Korean girls standing in front of my door :confused:. So, we started talking, and they told me that they were pilgrims from some new Korean church, and that they want me to come back home or something like that. I was like, oh, so they are an Korean version of Jehovah witnesses. Now, they were persistent, and I told them that I had nothing against letting them in but that I have to warn them that my friends were with me. That changed their mind, so we arranged that they'll come some other day so we could "have tea". I thought that I'll never see them again. Epilogue? We were drinking tea every week for next three months while they've read me the Bible and I talked to them about everything :):):). After three months they had to go back to Korea, and they left me without an awesome debate crew. They were pretty cool... I miss them now...

And that is it from me for now, it's not like I didn't do enough damage today ;), I have to go now, see you around

Cheers
Marko

Hi Paul,

and regarding the user experience on tablets, I can only say I know how it feels, my condolences... :) And hm, how do I put this... Regarding those Tv shows you've mentioned, all of them... I thought "Alf" was ancient. :confused: But, I've checked all those shows and "Whirlybirds" and "Sea Hunt" it into the tablet.
eem familiar, and "Dobie Gillis", I think I "remember" that show, actually the dark haired guy with goatee seems familiar to me... I guess I saw him on Tv, or something :p. And yeah, I've discovered emoticons :cool:. Now, I'll tell you which ancient American Tv shows I remember the most, those are "Alf", "Full House", "Beverly Hills" :D:D:D, sorry I couldn't resist... Now for real, one of the oldest I remember was "M.A.S.H", than "Magnum, P.I.", then there was that super clumsy blond detective... I found him, it was "Sledge Hammer". I wanted to be like him :D:D:D, and a much more, but I forgot their names, I barley found "Sledge Hammer" because I didn't saw those shows for years, but there was a lot of Chuck Norris and bud Spencer on the Tv, and British and Australian Tv shows and movies, it was long time ago...

""England seems kinda close today"
:):):):D:D:D That was a good one, nice move... :D:D:D thanks...

"Boy, we are really digging up the past now, eh?:cool:"
We sure are, that's a cool thing, if we didn't, I would never heard of "England" prank, I'm still grinning to that one...

Anyway, cool, you've enlightened me a bit, made me laugh, actually, I can't stop laughing, because I've been there. Thanks again...

Cheers
fin_ (it's shorter, it was shorter before I wrote this:rolleyes:)
Then;
Cheers
Marko
Marco,
The guy with the gotee was Bob Denver, the character was Maynard G Crebbs. Dobie said "No lie, Maynard", every time he stated the obvious. Bob Denver also played the part of Gilligan on Giligan's Island. That is likely where you remember him from.
Glad that you got a chuckle from the England story. It's been a while since I thought about that. By the way, I am back on the tablet, sitting by the fireplace with my sweety-pie. She has one also, but she is reading the New York Times while I am typing this. I mostly use mine to read old magazines. I load them onto a micro sd card and plug It into the tablet. I can also load movies, videos, or music. It makes waiting for a doctor apointment or any other apointment easier. The problem is that most offices now have a tv with some mindless drivel like Fox Noise Channel blaring on them, at the threshold of pain. Kinda makes it difficult to concentrate on reading.

Happy Trails
Paul

@ Marko, @ all

Good Moaning (Wizard appears in a puff of smoke) I was just pissing by and thought that I would drip in.

Such might be said for Officer Crabtree, a British Officer (Captain) posing as a French gendarme in " 'Allo 'Allo". You can also find a couple of full episodes on youtube under Allo Allo.

Publican and restaurateur René Artois was played by Gordon Kaye. The show ran from 1984 to 1992 (pilot was in 82 I think). In 1990, Gordon was nearly killed when advertising boarding speared through the windscreen of his car in a fierce storm in London. They put him into an induced coma for days, to heal. An Aussie filled his role for a few weeks, I think.

Gordon passed away 23rd January last, aged 75. Had he lived 2 more days it would have been 27 years since the incident which earlier might have killed him.

@VP9KS - Paul Elaine (my wife) votes for Sugarfoot - she loves horses, and Roy Rogers "Triggered" her memories. :rolleyes:

... and don't forget Ripcord, about the pair of skydivers.

Alf ... loved Alf ;)

I'm off. As the French Gendarme would say, after René Artois' wife had just driven a small tank through the public toilet the Gendarme was taking a pee in, "There is no piss for the wicked".

Cheers all, and pardon the French.

Wizard

Wiz,
How about "Wagon Train", "Rawhide", and "The Big Valley". And don't forget "The Virginian", and Gunsmoke". A bit of old western trivia- Who played the part of "Rowdy Yates". Stay tuned for the answer. On the lighter side, there was "F Troop", nyuk, nyik!

"Drizzle, Drazzl, Drozzle, Drone, Time for this one to come home!"

Time for this one to sleep, 04:30 comes much too early to stay up late. Nite all,

Happy Trails,
Paul

PS "I don't care if your name is Sugarfoot, get your toe out of my coffee!"

Last edited:
@ Marko, @ all

Good Moaning (Wizard appears in a puff of smoke) I was just pissing by and thought that I would drip in.

Such might be said for Officer Crabtree, a British Officer (Captain) posing as a French gendarme in " 'Allo 'Allo". You can also find a couple of full episodes on youtube under Allo Allo.

Publican and restaurateur René Artois was played by Gordon Kaye. The show ran from 1984 to 1992 (pilot was in 82 I think). In 1990, Gordon was nearly killed when advertising boarding speared through the windscreen of his car in a fierce storm in London. They put him into an induced coma for days, to heal. An Aussie filled his role for a few weeks, I think.

Gordon passed away 23rd January last, aged 75. Had he lived 2 more days it would have been 27 years since the incident which earlier might have killed him.

@VP9KS - Paul Elaine (my wife) votes for Sugarfoot - she loves horses, and Roy Rogers "Triggered" her memories. :rolleyes:

... and don't forget Ripcord, about the pair of skydivers.

Alf ... loved Alf ;)

I'm off. As the French Gendarme would say, after René Artois' wife had just driven a small tank through the public toilet the Gendarme was taking a pee in, "There is no piss for the wicked".

Cheers all, and pardon the French.

Wizard
Wiz,
There is another gentleman named Roy Rogerso_O who plays Blues guitar. There is a video of him, on You Tube, playing slide on a Dobro style 12 string, and he is all over that thing!:cool: The song is "Walking Blues". He uses his little finger for the slide, allowing him to switch back and forth from fingering to slide. Very talented indeed!!:D

Happy Trails,
Paul

Laredo, who could go past Laredo? William Smith (fine physique) as "Cherokee Joe" Riley, Neville Brand as Reese, Peter Brown as Chad.

Then there is Lawman, Rifleman, and on and on.

Elaine loved Bat Masterson, but her question to you (we know Rowdy Yates) is who played trail boss Gil Favor? No peeking.

Wizard
BTW I can sing the F Troop song, any takers?

Oh, that's easy, Eric Flemming:). He was tall drink of water, as I remember. I don't know, Wiz, can you carry a tune?:p Perhaps in a basket, under your arm. nyuk, nyuk! Okay then, do you remember what weapon "The Rebel" carried, and what the character's name was? And how about "Have Gun Will Travel". What was on his card? And what was the true name of the character "The Waco Kid", in Blazing Saddles?:rolleyes: As you can likely see, I kinda liked the old westerns.:D:D And, yes, I do remember "Ripcord", but I will NEVER jump out of a perfectly good airplane. 2 things fall out of the sky, fools, and bird####.:oops: Do you remember "Hopalong Casidy"?

Happy Trails,
Paul

Oh, by the way, I thought you might have enjoyed the drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drone quote, since it was a wiz that said it. (Please mister wizard!)

Mate, you're stretching me to my limits, rmember there's a couple of years between us? I put a like on The Wizard with Tooter Turtle, had forgotten it, but remember Odie Cologne as King Leonardo's skunk adviser. Whomever did the voice made it sound like Ronald Colman, although it wasn't.

TV came to Australia in 1956 in time for the Melbourne Summer Olympics, but took until 1959 to come to my home state of Queensland. I was 2 then and probably not a discerning viewer :rolleyes:

My early memories include watching Doctor Who battling the Daleks, and I have been watching it for over 50 years now. Tonight (Boxing Day 26th our time) we have a Doctor Who Christmas Special featuring the first ever woman Doctor. Should be rad.

It was not until the early 70s that legislation was put in place to have a 50% Australian content, prior to that time we had mostly British and American content. Our early offerings included soap operas "Number 96" and "The Box" featuring nudity.

Answers:

"The Rebel" - don't think we got it, although Johnny Yuma rings a bell and I understand Johnny Cash sang the song after Elvis Presley was overlooked.

"Have Gun Will Travel" - those words, with a chess piece of a knight (I was playing chess at seven years of age) and something about his character, Paladin (Richard Boone, was it?)

Waco Kid - Jim played by Gene Wilder, but as the trail boss would say "I think you've had enough beans, boys".

Elaine says "What about The Texas Rangers"? When her foot is sore and she limps I call her Hopalong Cassidy, and her favourite drink summertime is sarsapirilla, Hoppy's favourite.

Having mentioned Dr Who, maybe we should try some science fiction TV shows and movies? That may keep Marko entertained as well.

Anyone seen a TV show called "Space 1999"?

Cheers

Wizard

Good on ya mate. You got the rebel's name correct. His weapon was a scatter gun. Paladon is correct, and it was also the call sign for a character in "Wing Commander". Can you remember which one? The theme song was:
Paladon, Paladon, where do you roam?
Paladon, Paladon, far far from home.

Indeed I do remember space 1999. One of the main actors was also on "Mission Impossible" as I recall. Then there were the puppet, actually marionette, scifi shows like "Supercar", and "Fireball XL5". There was even an episode of "Stargate SG1" with marionettes. That was a cool series, I have all of it on dvd, along with Atlantis. How about "Space, Above and Beyond", "Andromeda" or "Warehouse 13"? Happy holidays to both of you, from both of us.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Man, you are weird, are you inside my brain, or I yours? :confused:

Two actors, actually - Barbara Bain & Martin Landau, married in real life, were in MI and Space 1999. The show featured cars with gull wings, which were later built into certain sports cars, and even funeral hearses.

The weird part is I used to watch puppet shows like Supercar, Stingray, Space Patrol and Fireball XL5. And of course, the obligatory Thunderbirds.
Loved Stargate, first the film, and all the series and spinoffs.

Mr Goldie Hawn, aka Kurt Russell, featured at 14 as an Indian (Native American) in an episode of Laredo I saw, also in two episodes of The Virginian around the same time. He made a wonderful Jack O'Neil in the Stargate film, which also featured James Spader as the original Daniel.

Interestingly enough, and our good friend with the dark sunglasses (@atanere ) might be interested, is that Kurt was born in one of the (many) Springfields, but this one in Massachusetts.

What about the Will Smith movie "I, Robot", from Asimov. Like, hate, in between?

Back at yer re the holidays, from Elaine and me.

Wizard

Can't help myself.

And what about "Blade Runner", featuring Harrison Ford, and a brilliant android played by Rutger Hauer, based on the Philip K.Dick story "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?".

Members online