Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ruby

• Python

• Total voters
P

Parker White

Hello all, I am merely 15 years old but am very interested in gaining some sense of direction in computer programming. I've viewed multiple videos and a course or two on Python (Didn't get far on that) and am trying to follow along with This is CS50 (Also kind of hard for me to get my footing because of disorganization of the course on iTunes U). I understand basic logic of computer programming but not much more than that. I know nearly all of you have been where I am, and am looking for someone who could tell me what language would be good to pick up initially, and then which method (books, videos, discussions..? etc.) would be the most effective, efficient, and beneficial for me to utilize. I know people are saying user groups are great, but I have no idea what those are and are they really for people with no prior experience? I couldn't ask for a mentor right now with how little experience I have, but some guidance would be great! Whether you have fascinating details about the type of programming you do or info about how to get started, anything would be appreciated!

Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: The following is just the opinion of a mean, worn out, over weight, and over-the-hill old ass.

Think this is a hard decision? Wait until you are my age and you have to decide which E.D medication you should ask the doctor about!

200px-The_C_Programming_Language_cover.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

I still have my copy of this book. The cover has seen better days, and the binding has all but dissipated. But I still have it to this day. There are many books out there that will hold your hand and teach you. But I'm a 'tough love' kind of guy. ;)

Java and C# can go pound dirt. Both are uglier than a Korean prostitute.

Python: It's nice. I love the code. It's clean, and the syntax makes sense.... unlike perl.
(I don't actually use python though)

Perl: Was so powerful and so 'the hip thing' for so long. Now......
It looks like C, to an extent, if you take good clean C code, chew on it, swallow it, and filter it through your colon.

Ruby: No experience in it other than looking at some examples back when it first hit Freshmean.
Hasn't it somehow started encroaching on PHP's bread-n-butter?

Oh, but don't forget my favorite scripting language! Tcl and Tk (for GUI). I can whip up damn near anything in under an hour with that set of tools. If you can write a shell script, you can learn Tcl in a weekend. ;)
But really, it's not widely used anymore. I'm just nostalgic.

Since you asked my opinion, I'll give it to you.
Python is what Perl 'should' be, clean, pretty, smells nice, and has a great rack - not unlike that chic you sit across the way from in Homeroom.
And then go for C.

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER: The following is just the opinion of a mean, worn out, over weight, and over-the-hill old ass.

And I thought I was the only one! Welcome! :D

@Parker White : Do you have any computer science courses in school to get you started? Or a friend nearby who is also interested so that you could work together toward learning to code? I think that learning programming and music are both hard to learn from a book, and you need some hands-on help to show you stuff. This is why I'm neither a programmer nor a musician. On the other hand, some people are truly gifted and can learn with minimal tutoring (not me!). I've heard that Python is one of the easier languages, yet you've already had trouble with that. It still may be the best starter language for you, but you may need a teacher. If a teacher if just not available, then Google the heck out of Python (or whatever you choose)... and find all the resources you can, then weed out the good from the bad as it seems to you.

Good luck!

I think its kinda a toss-up between C & Python. From what I remember from a few years ago; they a similar. Still, it might be easier to start with C. I taught myself GWBasic back in 1974 and got so turned on by programming as it was called then, that I went to school and then into the corporate world.

You need hands on. You need a PC with the IDE & compiler up and running. You can probably find someplace online to obtain the IDE & Compiler. Bethlehem's book or one like it might be a good place to start.

Thanks all for your input! Means a lot and I hope to see some of y'all around later in my... programming experience!

Hello all, I am merely 15 years old but am very interested in gaining some sense of direction in computer programming. I've viewed multiple videos and a course or two on Python (Didn't get far on that) and am trying to follow along with This is CS50 (Also kind of hard for me to get my footing because of disorganization of the course on iTunes U). I understand basic logic of computer programming but not much more than that. I know nearly all of you have been where I am, and am looking for someone who could tell me what language would be good to pick up initially, and then which method (books, videos, discussions..? etc.) would be the most effective, efficient, and beneficial for me to utilize. I know people are saying user groups are great, but I have no idea what those are and are they really for people with no prior experience? I couldn't ask for a mentor right now with how little experience I have, but some guidance would be great! Whether you have fascinating details about the type of programming you do or info about how to get started, anything would be appreciated!

Thank you!
M.I.T, o_O(yes that MIT, the big time school up there in MA.) has courses on line, including one on python.:cool: Check it out, they are free. The series is called MIT opencourseware, and many of them are on youtube, for download or streaming.
Welcome to the group.:):)

ciao for now
Paul

And I thought I was the only one! Welcome! :D

@Parker White : Do you have any computer science courses in school to get you started? Or a friend nearby who is also interested so that you could work together toward learning to code? I think that learning programming and music are both hard to learn from a book, and you need some hands-on help to show you stuff. This is why I'm neither a programmer nor a musician. On the other hand, some people are truly gifted and can learn with minimal tutoring (not me!). I've heard that Python is one of the easier languages, yet you've already had trouble with that. It still may be the best starter language for you, but you may need a teacher. If a teacher if just not available, then Google the heck out of Python (or whatever you choose)... and find all the resources you can, then weed out the good from the bad as it seems to you.

Good luck!
Yeah, Stan, I thought you were too! Imagine that!:D:D

Members online

Latest posts