Hello everyone!!!

a3dowd

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, all. new Linux user here looking for help with a peculiar user account issue...

I have an account that I was logged into a server with, walked away from the server, and the account continuously fails authentication when attempting to log back in. I am the only person that accesses the server, which has been operational for almost a month now with zero issues.

- grep 'username' /etc/shadow shows that nothing is amiss
- passwd -S 'username' checks out fine
- passwd -u 'username' shows "Success"

Any ideas as to what the issue may be? Thanks!!!

sorry that I can't help but maybe if you want more answers put it in a different category.
sorry

Welcome to linux.org @a3dowd :)

I am moving this Thread to Server to get some more help for you.

Good luck.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome to linux.org @a3dowd :)

I am moving this Thread to Server to get some more help for you.

Good luck.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Yeah I suggested that beccause no one replies in the thread the is currently in

what happens when you try logging in as root, and then su'ing to this user?
Any errors?

anything in dmesg? /var/log/messages?
What is their shell set to? Does that shell exist? Are the paths to the shell and home directory correct?

dos,

Thanks for the reply. I was able to su to the affected user account (showed 19 failed login attempts, though I'm 100% certain that the pw is correct).

---update---

Noticed that when I show "-l" on the home directory that the affected account's home directory is owned by a different user, which to my knowledge of the system, has never been created.

---update---

So learning on the fly...the affected acct was a member of the "wheel" group (which I thought was the different user), but I still couldn't access the server after logging in as root and changing the acct's pw.. In the end, I just created a new user account and added it to the wheel group so I could "su" and perform actions as root. SO MUCH TO LEARN!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts