Hello everyone!!

brolly

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone

I am new to your forum and i thought i would introduce myself. I am proud to say that after many years of procrastination i have finally decided to convert to Linux. I am not yet 100% converted as I use my Window$ computer for gaming and unfortunately most games are released for PC. I might consider buying a games console in the near future and completely ditch Window$ I have finally taken a deep dive by using Linux on my business and personal computers. I didn't think i would cope but i have never been happier Fortunately Linux has evolved over the years and I have successfully navigated my way around it. I have taken many a distro for a spin and i am content with MX linux for my work computer and Mint 18.3 XFCE for my personal day to day computer. I hope i am on the right forums to enhance my knowledge of Linux.

Hello and welcome Brolly. It's nice to have you onboard :). As for gaming, years ago, it was really a Windows world, but not anymore, especially if you use Steam. I think all of Valve's games have Linux ports. There are many games that have Linux ports on Steam. And Steam now has Steam Play, which is aggressively working on creating a compatibility layer that allows you to run Windows games on Linux. Some of them may require a tweak or 2, but many are running just fine without any tweaks on our part at all. We started a thread on the subject, if you're interested https://www.linux.org/threads/games-for-windows-we-personally-have-played-on-linux.23012/#post-68240. I dual boot for just 1 game, Fallout 76. Fallout 4 works for some people with tweaks but doesn't work for me. I'd dual boot for it, but 76 is so huge I had to delete 4 to make room for it. :( All my other Windows games run on Linux, in Steam Play.

Hello and welcome Brolly. It's nice to have you onboard :). As for gaming, years ago, it was really a Windows world, but not anymore, especially if you use Steam. I think all of Valve's games have Linux ports. There are many games that have Linux ports on Steam. And Steam now has Steam Play, which is aggressively working on creating a compatibility layer that allows you to run Windows games on Linux. Some of them may require a tweak or 2, but many are running just fine without any tweaks on our part at all. We started a thread on the subject, if you're interested https://www.linux.org/threads/games-for-windows-we-personally-have-played-on-linux.23012/#post-68240. I dual boot for just 1 game, Fallout 76. Fallout 4 works for some people with tweaks but doesn't work for me. I'd dual boot for it, but 76 is so huge I had to delete 4 to make room for it. :( All my other Windows games run on Linux, in Steam Play.

Thanks TechnoJunky. I will have a look into Linux games on steam. I use Steam for my Window$ PC. I love my gothic, vampiric, and psychological horror games. If there are good titles i certainly take them for a spin. I've never heard of Steam Play. Does it require WINE? I last used the generic Steam app on Linux a few years ago. In terms of usability, which Distros do people recommend for steam? It might be wise for me to dualboot steamos with MX Linux

Steam Play uses Proton but you don't need to install it, Steam does. There's a setting for which version you want to run, you can go to Settings and Steam Play to change it. I'm pretty sure this is a version of WINE that Valve is manipulating to work better.
First, just install Steam and any games that you have purchased, that have a Linux port already will appear in your list. No configurations required. Second, to get Steam Play to be available, you have to be a Beta Participant. If you aren't, it's easy to setup. Just go into settings, and on the Account tab (which it opens to automatically) half way down is Beta Participant and a change button below. Change it to "Steam Beta Update". Now you should see some of your Windows games show up. Not all of them will, yet. The default view is for only those that are proven to run on Steam Play. You can change this setting to show all your games and then you can test them yourself. I've done this and half the games that aren't proven to run still run flawlessly with no tweaking. At least for me they do. Then there's the few that do require a few tweaks but still run flawlessly after that. Last are the ones I'm crossing my fingers for to become available soon. The Proton database is located at https://www.protondb.com/. You can go there and see not only what games are running well, but what tweaks are needed to get the other ones going.
There's 2 Amnesia titles that have Linux ports. You might like them.

Steam Play uses Proton but you don't need to install it, Steam does. There's a setting for which version you want to run, you can go to Settings and Steam Play to change it. I'm pretty sure this is a version of WINE that Valve is manipulating to work better.
First, just install Steam and any games that you have purchased, that have a Linux port already will appear in your list. No configurations required. Second, to get Steam Play to be available, you have to be a Beta Participant. If you aren't, it's easy to setup. Just go into settings, and on the Account tab (which it opens to automatically) half way down is Beta Participant and a change button below. Change it to "Steam Beta Update". Now you should see some of your Windows games show up. Not all of them will, yet. The default view is for only those that are proven to run on Steam Play. You can change this setting to show all your games and then you can test them yourself. I've done this and half the games that aren't proven to run still run flawlessly with no tweaking. At least for me they do. Then there's the few that do require a few tweaks but still run flawlessly after that. Last are the ones I'm crossing my fingers for to become available soon. The Proton database is located at https://www.protondb.com/. You can go there and see not only what games are running well, but what tweaks are needed to get the other ones going.
There's 2 Amnesia titles that have Linux ports. You might like them.
Thanks. Ive completed the setup. I am searching for games. Most of the games i have. they aren't compatible with steamplay so that means i have to get a new set of games. i will see i will get on using my testing computer.

They may not be fully compatible, but that doesn't mean they won't work. I know these are old titles, but they're good examples. One of the first games that Valve used and said was fully compliant was the original Quake (1). So as soon as Steam Play was enabled, Quake 1 showed up, however, Quake 2 did not. I changed the setting to Enable Steam Play for all other titles and Quake 2 showed up, but would crash during startup. At the Proton database site, it says Quake 1 is Gold but 2 is Bronze. Looking thru the comments I found that all I needed to do was add "MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2003 %command%" to the game's launch options and now it runs perfectly. So don't write them off because they don't show up as a Supported Title. Try out what others have and see if you can get your games to work for you. And worst case senario, there's something like 3000 games in Steam that are Linux native games, some are main stream titles too, like Bioshock Infinite.

They may not be fully compatible, but that doesn't mean they won't work. I know these are old titles, but they're good examples. One of the first games that Valve used and said was fully compliant was the original Quake (1). So as soon as Steam Play was enabled, Quake 1 showed up, however, Quake 2 did not. I changed the setting to Enable Steam Play for all other titles and Quake 2 showed up, but would crash during startup. At the Proton database site, it says Quake 1 is Gold but 2 is Bronze. Looking thru the comments I found that all I needed to do was add "MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR=2003 %command%" to the game's launch options and now it runs perfectly. So don't write them off because they don't show up as a Supported Title. Try out what others have and see if you can get your games to work for you. And worst case senario, there's something like 3000 games in Steam that are Linux native games, some are main stream titles too, like Bioshock Infinite.

Thanks a million. I take your advice on board and i will do a bit of testing on my 2nd computer. I'm sure Steam Play will mature with time

if you have problems with linux gaming I have one word for you "Lutris" it has a great community and most games work great on it (got warframe running from a guys custom installer there)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts