Hello. Changing to Linux and...

GusCE6

Reaction score
Credits
After years of Windows and disliking Apple when I change the hard drive in my 2012 8GB ASUS I am going to install Linux. The ASUS currently uses USB-Puppy Linux 6.3.0 Slacko 32-Bit since the hard drive is apparently shot.

I would like one that does not update unless you allow it, is not too much like Puppy Linux, and is 64-Bit but works well with 32-Bit software.

I would likely install it via CD, but if anyone knows of another way, great!

As I am fairly new to Linux itself can anyone give me any recommendations to start with? I only have a few minutes left here but the ASUS is also 64-Bit, has two processors and runs at 2.4GHz, is pretty powerful.

If "true" Linux is even better than Puppy then given what Puppy Linux can do and how well the 32-Bit distros run Windows software via WINE then it will be a good choice indeed.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome
there are over 1000 Linux distributions, but most important around 500 desktop builds,
now, your laptop probably came with 2gb ram, there are quite a few 64 bit lightweight builds that will run on it, but if it has [or you increase to] 4gb ram you can run any distribution you like, we can't tell you which is the best, only you can choose what's best for you, many members will sing the praises of their favourite distribution, but that doesn't make it the right one for you, being a 2012 machine you should be able to install using either USB or optical drives,

Edit,, just noticed you say 8gb ram already, so any distribution. You can set wine to run both 32 and 64 bit

Last edited:
You could run any distro, some lighter ones would be better but they'd all run well enough.

This won't directly answer your question, but you can read this:

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

Plenty of Distros to choose from...enjoy.
m01101.gif

I'm basically hoping to be able to download and burn a Linux Operating System onto a CD-ROM, put the new hard drive in the ASUS (hopefully a bad drive is the problem) so that there is NOTHING Windows in there anywhere, install the Linux OS, and get going.

The ASUS has 8GB of RAM (its maximum). It is Dual-Core, 2.4 GHz. It is a 64-Bit device. Its resolution is 1366h x 768v with 32-Bit color if that is important. It has its own DVD/CD-ROM player. It has 3.0 USB ports. (Is there a PC Card with 2.0, I could use that for the old 256MB RAM Sony).

This won't be like my Puppy Linux efforts, which installed the distros using the LICK installer so it was a Multi-Boot system. I want that ASUS to actually BE a true Linux device. My emphasis will be Internet activity and gaming, although I do not play online games like "World of Tanks" or "Fallout 76" (did they ever get that running properly?). Testing years ago did indicate that that ASUS could handle "WoT" quite well.

Actually, I'm looking forward to this. I would like step-by-step instructions for this just to be sure.

Again, thanks.

Sorry. I'm not exactly at my sharpest lately, so please bear with me.

just to add

some thoughts for you to consider when making your installation medium.
Your optical drive [if original] is probably well-used to get the best possible burn of the bootable image.
1] make sure the optics are clean [preferably, use a proprietary disc drive cleaner
2] use a good quality blank DVD-r disk and make sure it is clean before inserting [I do not recommend DVD+r, DVD-Rw or +Rw for this job on a computer of that age]
3] when you burn the ISO use a lower burn speed, not max, [I know it will take longer but 2or 3x normaly makes for a better burn]
4] do not try rushing, just take your time and check yourself so you do not miss any steps.
When you try to install some distributions will ask what mode you wish to use, so choose legacy, [others will make that choice for you]

Welcome to the forums Gus - the great thing about any Linux Distro is that updates are presented and you choose what you install.

Puppy is a true Linux it just has its own way of doling things. Another similar distros to Puppy are Porteus Linux
http://www.porteus.org/ and slax https://www.slax.org/

I am starting to like Linux more and more.

As long as I'm here, what about a 2001 Sony VAIO, 256MB RAM (maximum), 32-Bit, Pentium 3 800MHz processor, Integrated Intel chip, 1024h x 768v resolution, incapable of running "Undertale." It currently is dual-boot, XP Home Edition/Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid. It cannot use Puppy Linux Palemoon SSE 28 or 29, so the new Deviantart.com site script is all but unusable in Lucid mode (it has to do with "parastorage.com," but excluding that prevents use of several site key functions- just as Palemoon 27 does).

Would it be worth it to change that old Sony to Linux?

When the ASUS is changed, that will be interesting. So long, Windows Operating Systems. may be unable to play a few games, but oh well. The advantages will be well worth it.

Note again that good use of 32-Bit programs is a MUST, even if using a 64-Bit distro for the ASUS. I was disappointed in this regard by Fossapup.

Again, thank you all.

Would it be worth it to change that old Sony to Linux?

Not unless you use a very, very light version of Linux - we're talking so light you don't even have a desktop and just use a window manager or the terminal.

Some things are best being recycled. That thing is horribly inefficient anyhow. A Raspberry Pi is more capable.

The best distro so far that I know of for that Sony is Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid.

One HUGE advantage it has is the "pupswap" file, which acts like Virtual RAM. There was a SWF game I downloaded called "Norby." For some weird reason it requires 1.2 GB RAM memory, so in XP mode it simply would not load. Those "expert tricks" for boosting the RAM beyond the usual 384/768 settings never worked for anything. At the Puppy Linux forums someone instructed me how to boost the size of that "pupswap" file, so I just said the heck with it and boosted it to 2GB.
The game, and other things, worked after that.
It can be a bit slow, but it does work.

Lucid was installed alongside XP with the LICK application. The Sony is a Dual-Boot system.

So any distro here would have to require no more RAM or processing power than Lucid, it would preferably be installed alongside XP in this case, and of course it would have to be able to do more or what's the point?

One of my hobbies is getting old hardware to do more. Puppy Linux, SCUMMVM, the folks at MSFN, and things like SwiftShader, Sci-Tech, and 3D-Analyze are ways to help. Me, I kinda figured out the AGT text engine...

@MikeWalsh .....you will likely be able to offer a few words here, Mike ?

Members online