Hello all

Chainzaw

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone,

New to the site, but not to Linux.

That said, I got into linux back in '97 and learned the hard way about dependency issues while downloading and building my first Debian distro package by package.
Iomega zip drive anyone?
:oops:

Took 2 months, but had a working system with X11 working as well.

Switched to Red hat distros after that, my first packaged distro, as well as Mandrake. Had a coyotelinux firewall and NAT box as well.

Currently I haven't been down the rabbit hole in many years, but I'd like to build a security cam NVR & a VPN system now that we have cable inet out here in the sticks.

Seems like a great group here, and this most certainly is not the linux DOT org of old.
:cool:

I didn't find much in a preliminary search on getting IP cams to communicate with a linux NVR.
Pointers to any discussions/tutorials appreciated

As to the VPN, I figure that will likely be documented somewhere, I'll search for that.

Most of my hardware consists primarily of homebuilt 486 system, and a couple 586 platforms.

Do the modern distros still play well with older equipment, or should I be looking to upgrades?

My old CL firewall system ran on a 166Mhz box w/256M of RAM.

Looking forward to being a member here, and hopefully helpful once I get back in the zone.

Chaz

Goodness, slow response time to say welcome

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, sets fire to his beard, extinguished the fire with beer ... what a waste)

Welcome Chaz :)

I see you are already contributing, that is a good spirit.

Seems like a great group here, and this most certainly is not the linux DOT org of old.
:cool:

We hope so, we focus a lot on community spirit.

Your one-liners towards the end are each worthy of a separate Thread, take a wander through the Forums and see where best to place them.

But just as a fast-track on one

Do the modern distros still play well with older equipment, or should I be looking to upgrades?

Google eg

linux ubuntu system requirements

and see how you go with mix and match, if you know the DE (desktop environment) you are looking for, add that to the keywords, eg Ubuntu GNOME cf Ubuntu MATE.

For a broad look at DEs, this is a little dated but still relevant

https://renewablepcs.wordpress.com/about-linux/kde-gnome-or-xfce/

Out for my evening DownUnder imminently, but see you around the traps.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for the welcome @wizardfromoz

These will be headless systems, so no DE to be installed. I may build or purchase a new system to work from, and experiment on as well.

Won't likely run as many distros as you do. Lol

Liked you're thread on Timeshift, that's new to me, as will be many things I'm sure.

G'day

Chaz

G'day Chainzaw / Chaz
Welcome to the site.
Query
What is a headless system? Having not heard the expression nor come across it in my reading that I do,eclectic to say the least.
Nik-Ken-Bah.

G'day Chainzaw / Chaz
Welcome to the site.
Query
What is a headless system? Having not heard the expression nor come across it in my reading that I do,eclectic to say the least.
Nik-Ken-Bah.

G'day

Headless system = no monitor
Hence no need for a Desktop Environment

I will remotely manage the computers.
Chaz

Thanks for that Chaz.
Now I know and understand.

Staff online

Members online