Hello All

Gomad

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone.

I worked the last 20 years of my career as an Equip Engineer in the Semiconductor Ind., and I can tell you most anything you want to know about ion implanters (particle accelerators) and chemical vapor deposition, but I've never worked with computers much beyond the user level.

Building my own computers was sort of a hobby for me, so I've always bought components and assembled and installed OS and software myself, since Windows 3.0 in the 90's, but I've only worked with Windows.

I do ok with the basics, but I'm not proficient by any means with command lines and such, unless being directed by someone in the know. I've usually managed to find an answer when I had a problem with Windows, but last week I installed an update to Win 7 that crashed my PC and it couldn't fix itself, I couldn't fix it, and Microsoft's only fix was to install Win 10.

Errr, no thank you.

I had to reinstall Win 7, to access my backup drive, but as soon as I get Linux working for me, I'm done with Windows.

So here I am., with my hat in my hand, brand new to Linux, other than reading a few beginner tutorials and attempting to install Mint 18.3 Cinnamon on a pen drive (several times after crashing, ha!). I have the install down, (I think), and even updated everything (including the kernel) successfully, and got everything configured and working like I think it should (AFAIK anyway). So I pulled the trigger and attempted to install to my D: drive, but I had an error attempting to install Mint side by side with an old copy of Win XP, and after 4 ½ hours, it failed and Linux hung. I had to power down. Now Linux reboots funny, and I can't access the D:\ drive in Windows, so I'll be looking for the appropriate forum here to find a solution or ask a question concerning those specific problems. Someone please point me to the right forum.

Anyway, I'm glad you all are here, and so willing to help. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Gomad, and welcome to the site! I see you've posted your install problem over in the Getting Started forum... that was a good choice, and I'll get over there shortly to see if I can help.

Cheers

Hi @Gomad, and welcome to the site! I see you've posted your install problem over in the Getting Started forum... that was a good choice, and I'll get over there shortly to see if I can help.

Cheers

Thanks for the welcome. I'll pop in and see what you had to say.

And thank you!

Welcome aboard, mate! I guess the fun is just starting for you:D. Don't be shy about asking questions. We have all been where you are, and have not forgotten what it feels like:p. I understand your reaction to loading 10. Some like it, more hate it.

Enjoy the ride! You are in good hands with Stan, AKA Atanare.:)

Happy Trails,
Paul

Welcome aboard, mate! I guess the fun is just starting for you:D. Don't be shy about asking questions. We have all been where you are, and have not forgotten what it feels like:p. I understand your reaction to loading 10. Some like it, more hate it.

Enjoy the ride! You are in good hands with Stan, AKA Atanare.:)

Happy Trails,
Paul

Thanks Paul. I'm having a blast here so far. :D

Steve

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts