Hello all, my name is john

john ruth

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all, my name is john,and i'm looking to understand the linux commands more for data center work.I'm a 58 year old disabled vet. forced out my career as a mechanic,have completed many courses in the I.T. field and will be returning to school in january.I have been working at the microsoft datacenter mostly replaceing parts and I'm trying to get away from the manual labor part and start doing more diagnostics/programming in the future. any help and guideance would be greatly appreciated!! thanks
john

Welcome to the forums be prepared for a bit of a steep learning curve

Hello John,
Welcome to Linux .org forums. There are many free resources to learn linux on the web. Including the user's manual and install guides of most Linux Distrobutions. Here is a place you may want to start.

Last edited:
Welcome to the community John and to Linux! Even though I'm not from the US, thank you for your service! What Linux distribution are you going to install, since hands on experience is the best way to learn.

thinking ubunta server?
That's a good start, if you are going to be working in the IT field I would also have a look at a Rhel clone such as Rocky Linux.

Your best bet is (probably) to go the certificate route. For each certificate, the study material is different. So, you'll have to find which you want to go for first and we can help with more specifics. For example LFCE is a good one to have.

See this:

G'day John, Welcome

All the above sounds like hard work to me.

Kick back and have a beer. Relax.

Ditto from another Aussie :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day and welcome fellow comrade in arms @john ruth.
Wish you well on the Linux road where you will find willing help on this road.

Members online