Hello, a question on Linux Certification

linuxprep

Reaction score
Credits
To be more precise - about Advanced Level Certification.
I've just successfully passed my LFCS (Linux Foundation) certification. Now I'd like to get something more advanced in this area. Until May 2022 Linux Foundation had LFCE (Linux Engineer), but now it seems they've gotten rid of it with no plans of bringing it back.

So I'm wondering whether there is anything else similar to LFCE in other organizations.

My main requirements would be:
- the exam can be taken online
- Ubuntu/Debian-based or distro-independent
- advanced level

I'd love to hear some suggestions, thank you.
PS. I'm aware of LPIC-3, but it has many disadvantages - you have to pass LPIC-2 first (and that requires LPIC-1, fml), it's not PBQ, but "pick an answer/fill in the blanks" and I'm not sure it can even be taken online.
PPS. Other than that there's CompTIA Linux+, but from what I've gathered it's quite similar to LFCS in terms of complexity.

Hello and welcome to linux.org. What is your goal or reason for wanting to do these type of exams for a certification?

The goal is to get more proficient with Linux and have a certification that supports this proficiency.

Hello @linuxprep,
Welcome to the linux.org forum.
Redhat has several offerings that may be of intrest to you. Of course they concentrate on redhat systems.

This list may also be helpful.

or Perhaps this one
Wish you all the best in your endeavor

Passing an exam does not necessarily make you proficient with Linux, experience does. I looked at the LPI exams and they are only multiple-choice and fill in the blank questions.
That doesn't help with getting experience, I don't know what format the LFCS exams are. If you want hands on exams you can do RHEL exams but those are expensive and only Rhel focused.

Last edited:
I'm with @f33dm3bits Hands on experience is better and worth more in the end.

I found this thread helpful. Thanks to @linuxprep, I learned what topics are covered in those certifications and exams, to compare them with what I know. It helped me figure out which areas in my experience have "gaps" or "holes". I have no interest in obtaining a Linux certification, but I am a lifelong learner. It helps to know what you do not know.

Members online