Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

He Returns..... :3

Discussion in 'General Computing' started by blackneos940, Jul 9, 2016.

1. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

I'm makin' an AI Program!..... ^^ I thought of Cleverbot, and also Betabot, and, well, here!:

Code:
    //This Program is Free Software, released under the GPLV2, or, at your option, any LATER Version

/*Ok... This is my first attempt at making a basic Machine-Learning AI*/

#include <stdio.h>

#include <stdlib.h>

#include <unistd.h>

int main(void)

{
      printf ("Say anything, then press Enter!\n");  //Now, for some preliminary preparations for the first Execution of the Program

char user_input[200];

fgets (user_input, 200, stdin);

FILE *ptr;  //We open her "Memory" for Writing

chdir ("/home/name_expunged/Lucca_Brain");

ptr = fopen("Memory.txt", "a+");

fprintf (ptr, "%s", user_input); //This is where we Write to her "Memory"

fclose(ptr);

printf ("Greetings!! My name is Lucca, the Intelligent Lifebot! Ask me anything!\n");  //First, we greet the User

return 0;

}
    She has a Text File that serves as her "Memory", which will soon be read from..... I hope.

Anyway, what d'ya think.....? :) Not too bad for a start, eh.....?

I can't thank you guys enough for helping me get this far....... :D May God (or whatever you call the great All), richly Bless you and keep you..... :3

~blackneos940

2. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

BTW, this is TOTALLY not a reference to my favorite brainiac from Chrono Trigger..... ;)

3. rstanley

rstanley Guest

A few comments to make your code better.

You should check for the following errors:

chdir() - If successful, will return 0, if the directory does not exist, or some other problem, will return -1.

fopen() - If successful will return a valid pointer, NULL if file can not be opened.

Code:
    printf ("Greetings!! My name is Lucca, the Intelligent Lifebot! Ask me anything!\n");  //First, we greet the User
    I assume that this line is in preperation for additional code after his.

Code:
    return 0;
    I usually recommend the use of "EXIT_SUCCESS", and "EXIT_FAILURE". Some O/S's return a different value if successful. These constants will always work.
    Code:
    return EXIT_SUCCESS;
    Start with this then continue!

2 people like this.
  4. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Thanks for the advice, good sir!!..... :3 But..... Whenever I use the EXIT_SUCCESS thing, I think it always treated it as an undeclared Variable...... :< At least, GCC does, as well as Codepad.org..... :< Nevertheless, I hope there's some way to make it work..... :) Maybe I'm doing it wrong.....? :) Anyway, I'm stuck at the part where Lucca reads from "Memory" and Prints out what's in the Text File...... :( Turns out I don't even know HOW to use fopen("example.txt", "r"); to read from and show the contents of Files!...... D:

1 person likes this.
  5. rstanley

rstanley Guest

You only need to "#include <stdlib.h>" to use "EXIT_SUCCESS", etc... You have done this in the above code.
    View the changes I made to the code below. You should start to think about slitting the program into separate functions.
    Code:
    #include <stdio.h>

#include <stdlib.h>

#include <unistd.h>

#define DIM 200  // Avoid "Magic Numbers"" in your code.  If you change this value, you only need to do it once!

int main(void)

{
      char *retval = NULL;

printf ("Say anything, then press Enter!\n");  // Now, for some preliminary preparations for the first Execution of the Program

char buffer[DIM];  // Note I changed the name to a more generic name

fgets (buffer, DIM, stdin);

FILE *ptr = NULL;  // Define a pointer to a FILE

chdir ("/home/name_expunged/Lucca_Brain");

ptr = fopen("Memory.txt", "a+");  // We open her "Memory" for Writing

fprintf (ptr, "%s", buffer);  // This is where we Write to her "Memory"

fclose(ptr);

/**
       ** I added the following code to process each line of "Memory.txt"
       **/

ptr = fopen("Memory.txt", "r");

if(ptr == NULL)  // Test to insure the file was opened correctly!
      {
      printf("Memory.txt cannot be opened!\n");
      return EXIT_FAILURE;  // Nothing to do but quit!
      }

retval = fgets(buffer, DIM, ptr); // Get the first line

while(retval != NULL)
      {
      // Add code here to process each line of the file

retval = fgets(buffer, DIM, ptr); // Get the next line, if any.
      }

fclose(ptr);

/**
       ** End of my code
       **/

return EXIT_SUCCESS;

}

1 person likes this.
  6. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

Thanks for the help, buddy..... :) The Code Compiled successfully, and it ran, seemingly without issue..... I still need to work on learning how to Read from Files, and Print their contents to the Screen..... *Sigh*..... :( I will NEVER give up, but..... It seems that the more I learn, the more I find out I don't understand....... :(

1 person likes this.
  7. rstanley

rstanley Guest

Worry if you don't think there is more to learn! ;^) I am mostly self taught, and lack a lot of knowledge I would have gotten with a full CS degree.

1 person likes this.
  8. blackneos940

blackneos940 Guest

You're smart..... You know that, buddy.....? :)

1 person likes this.