HDMI sound not working on any linux distro

dnlaua

Reaction score
Credits
I've been trying to get linux to work with my HDMI sound to no avail. I tried Ubuntu 18.04 and 18.10, Fedora, and openSUSE. I've read a bunch or articles and tried many things like alsa force-reload, pulseaudio --kill, and all that jazz. Maybe it's my sound card? I'm reinstalling Ubuntu 18.04 so if you have any suggestions for getting HDMI sound to work on that it would be much appreciated! Not even sure what my sound card is so help on checking that would be awesome too. I know my graphics card is a Nvidia GTX1070, but does that mean my sound card is Nvidia too? Sorry, I'm pretty new to Linux and haven't had to worry about these kind of things with Windows. Thanks.

G'day @dnlaua and welcome to linux.org :)

At Terminal (this will work in any of your listed Distros), copy and paste and enter the following

Code:
lspci -v | grep -i audio

That will give us a starter.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @dnlaua and welcome to linux.org :)

At Terminal (this will work in any of your listed Distros), copy and paste and enter the following

Code:
lspci -v | grep -i audio

That will give us a starter.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Here's what I got
Code:
00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Sunrise Point-H HD Audio

Thanks for that - so the next output you could post would be that from

Code:
aplay -l

#that's a lowercase L

This will determine if Linux is detecting your HDMI chip.

I am on a Linux Mint at the moment, and mine looks like this (I don't use HDMI but the facility is there)

chris@SylviaMATE-Dell ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3246 Analog [ALC3246 Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

I should say here that I am by no means expert in Audio matters, more "fly by the seat of my pants". :)

It would be a good idea to install Timeshift and take a full snapshot of your system so that if things go wrong, you can recover.

You can read about Timeshift at my Tute here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

or Linux Lite have a simple guide in their Manual here

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#timeshift

... that colleague @arochester found for us some time ago.

Further, by running a Google under keywords "linux "hdmi" sound Sunrise Point-H HD Audio" - I found a number of articles which may be of assistance, but I have not the time to go through them all at the moment. :( Putting the quotes around hdmi restricts the search to showing hdmi answers.

See how you go with the above first, and we'll hope that someone better-versed in audio bails us (me) out :D

Wizard

Thanks for that - so the next output you could post would be that from

Code:
aplay -l

#that's a lowercase L

This will determine if Linux is detecting your HDMI chip.

I am on a Linux Mint at the moment, and mine looks like this (I don't use HDMI but the facility is there)

chris@SylviaMATE-Dell ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC3246 Analog [ALC3246 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 10: HDMI 4 [HDMI 4]

I should say here that I am by no means expert in Audio matters, more "fly by the seat of my pants". :)

It would be a good idea to install Timeshift and take a full snapshot of your system so that if things go wrong, you can recover.

You can read about Timeshift at my Tute here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

or Linux Lite have a simple guide in their Manual here

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/tutorials.html#timeshift

... that colleague @arochester found for us some time ago.

Further, by running a Google under keywords "linux "hdmi" sound Sunrise Point-H HD Audio" - I found a number of articles which may be of assistance, but I have not the time to go through them all at the moment. :( Putting the quotes around hdmi restricts the search to showing hdmi answers.

See how you go with the above first, and we'll hope that someone better-versed in audio bails us (me) out :D

Wizard
aplay -l just shows my intel card. I'lll google the Sunrise Point Audio. Thanks.

Good luck. If you find an answer that works for you, perhaps you can come back and share it with us, to expand our knowledge base.

Cheers

Wizard

Damn! I am not surprised you have something less than a smile :). I was hoping

... might have brought you some more qualified advice (than mine) by now. :(:(

HDMI is an area I would really like to get into, but I just haven't the time for now with my other commitments here and elsewhere.

Did you make the acquaintance of Timeshift yet?

Wiz

In the sound settings, in Output tab the built-in-audio was set to Analog Stereo Duplex. Change the mode to HDMI output Stereo. Note that you must be connected to an external monitor through a HDMI cable to see HDMI output option. ... Click on it and enjoy the sound of music

Sam, 19 months since the OP last responded, he has either solved the problem or moved on.

Please do look at dates to check for currency, before responding.

Cheers

Wizard

It has now been nearly four years since the OP last responded, but I had the same issue just now, so naturally I searched the web for the answer. I happened upon Sam's post here, which has solved the issue for me. The OP may have lost interest in the thread a long time ago, but you never know when a forum post will turn up in the search results of someone having the same issue!

That is wonderful news, @Ascaris and welcome to linux.org :)

Be sure to run Timeshift or other means to safeguard your setup now it is working.

Enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts