HDD enterprise vs normal

Hillbilly H

Reaction score
Credits
With my computer being on pretty much 24/7 i was thinking about a 2t 7200 RPM enterprise instead of a normal HDD.
What do yall think?
Also how can you tell if a drives s.m.a.r.t. has been hacked to look new?

how about a SSD ?....no mechanical moving parts

What do yall think?

As memory serves, and it's calculated by time, there's not all that much between them.

But, I'd look up the "MTBF" and see if that suits your needs. (That's 'mean time before failure'.)

The one im looking at claims 1.2 million hours MTBF

Yup. That's the key number you're looking for.

Drives, even mechanical drives, have great longevity these days. If you compare that with a 'regular' drive of the same size and (perhaps) same vendor, you'll find the enterprise drive doesn't have that much of a meaningful difference - usually.

That's a lot of hours of use. It's longer than you're likely to want to keep the drive.

ive got a drive from 95 LOL i dont know why.

LOL Then I'll amend my statement to say, "the average person".

It's up to you if you want to spend the extra for some extra time that's long past the length someone would likely use the drive.

Though their MTBF seems odd. I just did the math.

24 x 365 = 8760

1,200,000 + 8760 = ~137 years

So, that's a rather unusual number - but I haven't looked up MTBF values in a lot of years. These days I just trust that drives are gonna last longer then I need them - or not long enough to make it by the warranty. This seems to be a good process, or I'm extremely lucky.

Either way, they're expecting their drive to last a long time.

I just trust that drives are gonna last longer then I need them
it must be the cheap drives im buying but mine usually last about a year or two.
This time i spent a little more and got a "new" 2TB WD RE WD2000FYYZ 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA.
When i get it ill take photos of the sata and power connections to look for signs of it being installed before.

it must be the cheap drives im buying but mine usually last about a year or two.

Wow... That's crazy. I haven't had a drive failure in a whole lot of years - and it was a mechanical drive that had had a sudden impact. I assume it failed due to head collision. That doesn't happen in SSDs, of which I was a fairly early adopter.

Then again, I cycle through devices fairly quickly compared to some others. So, maybe I'm not the best judge?

This time i spent a little more and got a "new" 2TB WD RE WD2000FYYZ 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA.
When i get it ill take photos of the sata and power connections to look for signs of it being installed before.
There is a tons of used HDD from Chia coin farming now, get two and make it work in Raid mode. Just don't buy SMR drives and be happy

I'm using old mechanical hard drives from 2006 / 2007 etc and haven't had any problems with them good chance they will outlast a new hard drive.

Install the hard drive you have and format it and then run a SMART disk check on it using "Gnome-Disk-Utility" it will give you the results.

1669207255072.png

Most if not all of my hard drives are pulled from discarded desktops and discarded laptops that have been tossed to the curb due to some failure.

Okay I'll admit that it is a hit and miss and for the most it's a hit.

Most modern electronics is manufactured using the cheapest quality and least expensive parts.

I base the above statement on the fact that I have a shelf full of 2 and 3 year old desktops and laptops that have failed and given to me by others.

Have any doubt drive up and down the neighborhoods where you live and look at the flat screen TVs setting at the curb for big trash day.

If you live in the county than you'll have to drive to the big city to see what I'm talking about.

Electronics of today is designed and manufactured with planned obsolescence in mind.

If today's electronics products don't fail then companies don't sell new products and make any money.

I'm very cynical although I'm also 100% right.

Last edited by a moderator:

I used to work in a data center with over 7,000 blade servers. These had 8,000 VMs on them.
As you can see from the links above, some of these servers were over $150,000.00
In some cases, one single server held 32 SSD disks. Some of these had dual 24 core CPUs, 512GB of RAM
and 8Terrabytes of disk storage. Most had 2 or 3 dual port Network cards in them.

Now the truth is, I can go buy a SSD drive at newegg or bestbuy for $50.00, the same capacity disk from
Dell, Lenovo, or HP is $450.00 (or more). In some cases the commercial/enterprise hard drives failed.
I know I replaced over 120 disks one year. (Really not that bad out of over 20,000 disks).

The cost to replace my home hard drive? Another 50 bucks.
The cost to replace the enterprise hard drives in our warranty servers? Free... well, free when you pay 300.00 more
for the hard drive :) .
I once got 10 free servers, when my company bought me a 1.3million dollar T-shirt :)

Yet it seems this is what enterprise customers expect, and want to pay for.
I can call somebody to come fix it or replace it for me. All hardware replacement for the first 3 years is free.
(including labor to do the work).

I'm using old mechanical hard drives from 2006 / 2007 etc and haven't had any problems with them good chance they will outlast a new hard drive.

That's not what's supported by the data. Modern drives last longer than older drives on an average.

If you want, you can look up 'Backblaze' for some actually scientifically collected data. (They're awesome like that.)

Install the hard drive you have and format it and then run a SMART disk check on it using "Gnome-Disk-Utility" it will give you the results.

View attachment 14045
That's not what's supported by the data. Modern drives last longer than older drives on an average.

If you want, you can look up 'Backblaze' for some actually scientifically collected data. (They're awesome like that.)
I don't know.

I do know I have a box of 20 or more 2 year old and 3 year old failed hard drives out of peoples computers I replaced hard drives in.

I know I'm still using 15 year old hard drives and have not had a problem with them.

Don't get me wrong what I said in post # 11 was this and I quote
"I'm using old mechanical hard drives from 2006 / 2007 etc and haven't had any problems with them good chance they will outlast a new hard drive."

Never said it was etched in stone.
I have hard drives fail also however I have old hard drives last 10 years to 15 years.

I can't say that about some of the brand new hard drives I've bought that had great data results posted about them which some didn't even make it past the warranty time.

New electronics like a lot of other new things today are garbage and plain and simple just don't last from my experience.

With my computer being on pretty much 24/7 i was thinking about a 2t 7200 RPM enterprise instead of a normal HDD.
What do yall think?
Also how can you tell if a drives s.m.a.r.t. has been hacked to look new?
Is that preferable to cooling?

We have Blackblaze Software Engineering office in the state where I live.

We have Blackblaze Software Engineering office in the state where I live.

You should see if they'll give you a tour. That'd be neat to see.

I especially like how they release their data. Not too many companies are going to do that, as it's not really something that benefits them if they release the data. If I needed their type of services, I'd definitely consider them near the top of my list.

Members online