Having Trouble With Getting To GDM In Kali Linux And Xorg After Boot

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
Hey guys! :3 So, let me preface with this: I installed Kali Linux alongside Ubuntu, Windows 10, and FreeBSD and use rEFInd to manage Booting with them all. :) After I install Kali Linux, I then add a non-root User for regular Web Browsing, and after running apt update; apt upgrade;, everything works properly, and there are no issues... Until I reboot. I don't have a Swap Partition, as I have an SSD now, and 8 GB of RAM. :) But each time I reinstalled Kali Linux (to duplicate the issue of a pristine System), the same thing persists..... :( It's stuck at what should be the GDM Login Screen, supplied with Kali Linux Large, which comes with GNOME 3. :) I suspect it's either something to do with Xorg, or something went wonky with the upgrades after the initial Install. :( I'm in Ubuntu now, as, even in Kali, I can't access any of the TTYs. :( I literally can't do anything. :( I think I can somehow resolve this with chroot /mnt/kali_partition_name/ under Ubuntu, but in FreeBSD, that's a whole other mess... Any tips guys...? :3 I want to learn more, and I won't stop till I get to the top of this issue! :D Thanks guys..... :3

Hello,

I'm note sure about your actual situation.
If I get you right when you boot into Kali you get a kind of black screen and you can't switch to a tty, is that correct ?

And you were able to login the first time you booted after the install ?

You could try to add "nomodeset" to your kernel boot option (through your bootloader config). That will disable some kernel display handling, eventuelly allowing your display to work and investigate.
I don't know if Kali switch to Wayland or if it's still running full Xorg.

Hello,

I'm note sure about your actual situation.
If I get you right when you boot into Kali you get a kind of black screen and you can't switch to a tty, is that correct ?

And you were able to login the first time you booted after the install ?

You could try to add "nomodeset" to your kernel boot option (through your bootloader config). That will disable some kernel display handling, eventuelly allowing your display to work and investigate.
I don't know if Kali switch to Wayland or if it's still running full Xorg.
Hey good sir. :3 Yeah, I CAN use CTRL+Alt+F1-2-3-4-5-6-7 and on, to switch to a TTY, but there's just a blinking cursor..... :< I'll try adding that option, and report back! :3 Thanks! :3

Hey guys. Sorry I took so long to get back... :( Part of it was because I've been feeling sick lately..... But, I have learned two things: GDM and Gnome 3, both shipped with Kali Linux Large, are both buggy. Using LightDM (or was it SSDM) fixed part of the issue. :) Thanks for all your help guys... :) I sure wish I could rm -rf /sickness/*.... :(

Members online