Having different content on different virtual desktops

JowivK

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, coming from Linux Mint (21) Cinnamon, I have installed the Budgie Desktop on my machine. During setup, I ran across the possibility to have multiple workplaces (or virtual desktops) within the actual Desktop. This makes sense: Easier to organize your work. However, for this purpose I would like to place different content (files, folders, starters) on the different workplaces (standard seems that they all are identical clones of the primary desktop). Important is specific content, not so much different bakgrounds.
Is this possible with Budgie dsktop?
Is it possible with Plasma desktop?
Do I need another distro to get that?
Do other desktops offer that?
Lots of questions - looking forward to your responses.
Thanks in advance!

I am not sure any of these DE offers that funcionality built-in, but for example i3 (a window manager) does.

One thing you can do is to check Devilspie2, which is a program that can detect your windows while they are created and act on them on the fly. I'm not sure whether it is compatible with Wayland, but this has been the hammer to that nail on X11 for a while -- here you go a tutorial to check it out: https://www.linux-magazine.com/Issues/2017/205/Tutorial-Devilspie2

If it works for you, then you can use it anywhere (maybe only under X)

PS -- it is usually found in the main distributions' repositories.

Thanks for that! Seems pretty well doing something like I want, that is starting progs in specific workplaces. I will try it out after finishing current work projects. Although I'm not sure I'm really into scripting....
I have been reading that KDE Plasma might offer these extended functions by providing 'activities' in addition to workplaces or virtual desktops...