Having a tough time with Dual Booting two seperate ssd drives and problems with compiz

Soundsystem00

Reaction score
Credits
I have literally been wanting compiz for a decade. I know it sounds stupid but I am an artist and always thought the effects were amazing. I finally got a nice laptop ( msi gs65 stealth ) and it has a kick ass graphics card which is being picked up in ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS and I even isntalled compiz and read dozens of tutorials and tried resetting literally everything andnothing works. If I have to install a different distro to get Compiz to work, then that is fine as long as it isn't too complex. Some help on this would be SO much apprciated.

I am also having severe boot issues. First when I installed ubuntu on the drive that I made secondary ( the 512 toshiba that came factory ) and put windows on the new samsung m.2 ssd 1tb, Ubuntu booted up and the drive disappeared from the boot menu. I could still see it in file manager and could even mount it, but NOTHING on boot. I finally just reinstalled windows and now I can choose what to boot but I have to go all the way into the BIOS. Any solutions on this? Sorry for the noob questions guys but I am very determined to master, or at least be able to use, Linux in general, especially kali.

Thanks in advance, in the meantime I will keep searching for answers.

Laptop is MSI GS65 Stealth Thin 32GB ram, NVIDIA 6gb graphics card. If you guys need any other info or logs please let me know. And I hope this is the beginning of a fun journey.

For the booting problem try updating Grub.:)

Open the terminal in Ubuntu and run:

sudo update-grub

Re-boot and Grub should give you the option to boot into either Windows or Linux.

To fix Compiz go into the Compiz Config Settings Manager and go through the settings.
The first 4 instructions in this Google search should help you to get the cube working.

I haven't used Compiz since Ubuntu was 10.04-

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...e.1.69i57j0.8439j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Thank you for the quick response, I really appreciate that. I will try those things right now but I am almost positive that I have done both things. I will update you in a few.

Are you kidding me. That simple sudo fixed the boot. I have literally downloaded programs, configured everything. How did I miss that? Maybe the reinstallation of Windows had something to do with it. Anyway, awesome! Thank you 100x. I have another question while I have you here. How can I make another partition on the ubuntu drive for Kali? And how much space should I use for Kali? This driev is 512.

holy crap! I GOT BOTH OF THEM FIXED. You are a god among men. (or women) thank you a ton. I cant believe I have struggled all day long for something that you fixed in a couple sentences.

One more question, best way to install Kali on a seperate partition without making a usb disk?

He's worth his weight in gold, that Alexzee :)

...best way to install Kali on a seperate partition without making a usb disk?

Can't be done, has to be a USB stick or DVD.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day @Soundsystem00 and welcome to linux.org :)

With 32 GB RAM you could run it on a virtual machine eg VirtualBox and still get a good performance.

There are a lot of tweaks and tricks to running Kali and you may find it more of a headache than a pleasure. A number of its penetration testing tools are already available to you in the Repository of Ubuntu.

If you haven't already, enable your Firewall, you should do this with each Linux you install.

Code:
sudo ufw enable

Also now that you have your Ubuntu running OK, consider installing Timeshift (my Thread here https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/page-8 )

Gotta fly, have spells to cast.

Enjoy your Linux

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Are you kidding me. That simple sudo fixed the boot. I have literally downloaded programs, configured everything. How did I miss that? Maybe the reinstallation of Windows had something to do with it. Anyway, awesome! Thank you 100x. I have another question while I have you here. How can I make another partition on the ubuntu drive for Kali? And how much space should I use for Kali? This driev is 512.
In order to partition the drive that you have Ubuntu on you will have to use the g-parted partition manager.
You can download gparted Live and use that to partition for Kali.

https://gparted.org/livecd.php

Since the drive is 512 just use half (256) for Kali.
Make one 255 GB partition for Kali and than make one 1 GB linux-swap partition.

Glad to hear updating Grub worked:-

Last edited:
My friend said to drop compiz and get KDE PLASMA.. So can you guys link me to a good instruction on doing that? And how do I uninstall and disable compiz in the mean time?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts