Have You Used Other Linux Forums

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 111282

If you were on other forums before coming here, I'd like to know about your experience(s) with it, and what made you want to come here instead

David, I understand where you are coming from, but we would need to set some ground rules for this type of thread. It is possibly better situated in Off Topic as well.

We can't afford to be sued, and anybody who has bad things to say about another Forum (whether true or not) risks us being sued for defamation.

Unlike "innocent until proven guily", with defamation it is the other way around. The onus is on the person making the defamatory comments to be able to prove absolutely that what they say is true, and that further, their intent is not to damage the standing in the community, of the other person/Forum. It's complicated, and it seems unfair.

The majority of our Members are US citizens, and the USA is one of the world's most litigious societies (no insult intended), although in more recent years, the UK and Australia and other countries have "stepped up" their own lawsuits "business".

Your use of the word "instead" immediately invites people to say what they think is wrong with another Forum, and so encourage disparaging remarks.

For now (and I hope briefly) I will lock this Thread, until at least @Rob and @KGIII have given us their input.

Cheers

Chris

I'm not too worried about defamation suits. I'm also not sure that this is a valuable line of questioning?

Maybe if it were rephrased as something like, "What do you value most about Linux.org's forum?"

But, that's likely to just turn into a circlejerk. If someone has a suggestion that'd improve the site, they'd just mention it. Heck, I've seen all sorts of suggestions.

The OP has contacted me, and is quite happy for the Thread to be deleted. I'll do so a little later in my day.

Ta for the input, David G., and thanks to @SpongebobFan1994 for understanding my concerns. ;)

Friday here in Oz, so Avagudweegend.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online