Have you ever had your pc on "fire" ?

Never had anything burst into flame, but my mom's laptop definitely goes over any safe limit; I don't know if the fan's shot or if the thermal paste just needs replacing, but it regularly gets hot enough almost to burn skin with prolonged contact. For now, she's got it resting on a cooling lap pad while she uses it, but I suppose soon I'll have to spend a couple days my parent's house and tear the thing apart.

I thought most computers newer had an internal shutdown feature that turned them off when they got too hot. My laptop's fan (among other things) is broken. It hits 85c easy but it shuts down if it gets to 95 or 97. I have a little desktop fan blowing right on it and that actually keeps it around 37c. I've luckily never had any permanent damage to any component despite it almost getting hot enough to boil water lol.

I've never had an actual fire, but I did once have to run a PC without any sort of heatsink... the only thing I had to cool it down was an overpowered CPU fan which ran at a constant 4000+RPM while the PC was idle. It sounded like a horde of angry death metal musicians had taken up residence inside my PC, but it worked until my heatsink arrived.

On my old computer, it would heat up so much it would feel like the plastic on near the trackpad was melting. Never did melt, or set on fire, but it was the weridest thing I have ever seen, or felt.

Members online

Latest posts