Have heard Linux is the way to go

so far I have crashed and totaled about 6 or 7 of them
Hopefully no broken bones or contusions:rolleyes: from those crashes, mate. Anyway, that is how we learn the many ways not to do it. Sooner, or perhaps much later in my case, we learn how to do it. Experience is the great educator. Kinda like the old config.sys & autoexec.bat debacles from way back in the dos days (a couple days agoo_O anyway).

Happy Trails,
Paul

I kept after it until I stumbled across Solus being mentioned on a site Linux Gamers.
Found a topic where the group was discussioning the use of the new release of Solus instead of some of the other Distro offering of Linux directed at Gaming, and more specific Gaming with AMD for everything, mobo - cpu - gpu - and sound. Which is what I have an all AMD system every where which had been where my problems would start, trying to find a driver or force the driver and break the system. I thought what have I got to lose, I already know my results with other servings of Linux distros.

Found the download for the AMD 64 iso / stuck that baby on my USB shoved it in the tower, gave the command to wipe it "wipe it clean" fresh install.
Was already noticing a difference / what is this clean images no odd screen look / ooo I have sound in both sides of speakers now / let it do all the updates and restarted as it prompted.
Once all that was done double triple checked my drivers / finally showing AMD on every single 1, it picked up my non-generic keyboard ( MERC ) and my non-generic ( gaming mouse ).
Now for the moment of truth will it play a 4K video stream saved on desktop in HD Dolby sound or will I still get screen tear glitch choppy graphics with just a single speaker mono sound ...... ?
Wow Wow Wow is all I can say, everything was doing what it was suppose to do full picture, full sound, all the keyboard works all the gaming mouse works.
The added bonus was when I download the game file, unzipped it and installed it, opened game folder found it had the start icon and it actually did exactly what it was intended went right in to game server with out a hitch.

I have not only found the Linux Distro for me but there is something which I can recommend to others as well.
SOLUS 3.9999 works right from install without needing to edit to much of anything.
I downloaded the first 1 which was Solus Budgie only because it was first spot on the list.

Wanted to give and update for any that might be keeping track.
Left the laptop on since Tuesday just sitting idle at desktop with all the power down / log off / sleep modes turned to off. See if indeed everything was working now with linux versus when it had Windows 8 upgraded to 10 because it would just randomly shut down from over heating. < < running silky smooth never was this cool before > >

Desktop PC seems to be running just as well. Wife has been keeping score from a distance, she asked last night so how hard would it be to put what you did on my Laptop?
Real simple so simple in fact start to finish it could be done in under 30 minutes, so I showed her on a spare tablet laptop like thing we had laying around nobody used because it was so slow to open and run anything. She was surprised at how fast it happened, I said will you missed that now it needs updates watch this, yeah she missed that as well.
22 minutes and a few seconds was time, just amazing.

These are the stories we enjoy hearing :)

A word to the wise, and this is said without any sexist overtones.

Women network far better than men.

It doesn't matter whether they are dropping the kids at school, talking in the supermarket, playing cards once a month, or at the hairdressers.

If people such as your wife come to learn about Linux and enjoy it, they can tell their friends, and then you can do the math.

Sounds good to me :)

Enjoy your Linux in your household.

Wizard

She has the laptop I was having the over heating issues with when it had Win 10 on it. Has yet to shutdown from heat not so much as a hiccup.
She is like wow , dang , oh my gosh I can't believe how much faster it is now.
Once I introduce her to all the many things you can customize from the looks, to layout, and schemes she will be hooked.
Don't want her to go into sensory over load.

from a distance,
Was that to keep from being nailed by flying debris?:D:D Good on ya, mate! Sounds like your voyage of discovery is coming along nicely. Enjoy the ride. I just wish that I could convert my wife, but I still have not given up on her. Und she vill love it.o_O

Last edited:
Figured I would give an update on the Linux journey.

The wife jumped in the deep end of the pool finally, she left windows and also is running Linux Solus 3.9999 Budgie Desktop as well.
The daughter is in for a weekend visit, now she and the son-n-law are curious about this thing called Linux.

I some times feel like a Pimp with the mentioned interest I get with Linux.
Now I just perk their interest then stand back and watch as they smirk like a school kid catching a cheap glimpse of something naughty.

Oh and the guy that introduced me to Linux - lol he has 2 systems running the Solus now as well.

I some times feel like a Pimp with the mentioned interest I get with Linux.

More like a Missionary spreading The Word, perhaps, friend? :) And the word is Linux.

We have likened the joy that people such as yourself (and I) get from Linux as being like a kid in a candy store.

Now take that store and increase its floorspace to Walmart-size ... still only scratching the surface of what Linux can offer.

IMO.

Wizard

Very true.

Members online