Has anyone come across Grub2 failure when connected to internet during a clean install

• Thread starter Deleted member 35560
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35560

I am posting this, having looked to see if it had been posted before.
I decided to do a clean install of Tara on my wife's laptop and did as I normally do, set up the internet connection before starting to do. All went well and nothing to worry about until it reached the point of installing the Grub2 when it said there was a Grub2 failure and stopped.
I rebooted and checked the USB nothing wrong there. So I wondered if it was the ssd and put the spare one it and it came up with the same problem on that.

The solution I came up with was not to connect to the internet and proceeded with the install and it sailed past the Grub 2 and installed perfectly. When it had completed, after setting up the firewall I set up the internet connection and everything is fine.

I can't see any reports anywhere on this, so I wondered if anyone had come across it? If not and it happens to say this is how I resolved it

That is strange.. I haven't run across it and don't believe i've heard of it before. Glad you got it sorted out though - you'll prob help someone here in the future w/ your post/fix! :)
Thanks Rob, as I said I looked everywhere and couldn't find an answer - so I did the usual things first like checking the router etc. then tried what I knew was a good disk and then the usb going into BIOS settings to see if they were correct etc., before, trying what I put here - I hope someone doesn't have to use it but if they do then this is the easiest fix and the only one I could get to work

UPDATE:
Further checking has shown there seems to be a problem caused by Ubuntu updates. Not sure how many of the distros based on it have it. The answer to it is as I have posted here - so don't worry if you can't do an install just do as I said and do the updates etc afterwards

Now that's interesting :D

For the benefit of The Viewers, I'll give a little insight into how a Mint Install works in Australia and you may see comparisons.

Ubuntu itself developed the Ubiquity Installer, and it is in all 'buntus, Linux Mint, Zorin and anything else based on Ubuntu.

One of the steps with Ubuntu's Ubiquity is to ask if you want to install updates and save time later, and to install 3rd party software from other partners &c.

Clem's team at Linux Mint, with their version of Ubiquity, dispensed with the updates offer a year or two ago, and just left the 3rd party software.

With Ubuntu, you just get the software from the one Ubuntu Repository. With Mint (in Australia), we get the Linux Mint software from the Repository in USA, and the Ubuntu software from the UK. This is where we get bottlenecks.

With many but not all, Linux Distros, you can choose, even at the Live Stage, to choose your fastest available server/s which may or may not be geographically closest to you. We have 9 Servers for Linux Mint, of which 4 are in Australia. We have 21 for Ubuntu, of which 16 are Australia, 1 New Zealand and 4 other nations.

If that option of choosing a faster server is not available to you in the Live stage, then you are possibly better off running your updates, AFTER the install, particularly if the Distro you are installing has been out for some time, and will require a lot of updates. Examples of this would include Linux Mint 18.3 and Ubuntu 16.04.

We are advised to have an Internet Connection in place when we install, and some Distros even prefer an Ethernet connection and fix up the WiFi later.

In this case, the OP (original poster) has employed good troubleshooting skills and remained disconnected until after the install.

I always recommend to folks installing that the Live scene is a good opportunity to test WiFi, Sound, Printers &c work satisfactorily, but it is hard to predict an occasion such as the OP has encountered.

Also, even when you choose not to install updates, if you are connected, most Distros will go ahead anyway and download and install the latest Linux kernel software - the Devs (developers) would likely maintain that this is for security, bug fixes, &c. I don't see that as an issue if you enable your Firewall and establish your fastest servers straight after install.

Where @Ptahhotep lives is the Isle of Man, between Great Britain and Ireland in the Irish Sea. He may have access to many Servers, and even get good results from eg France, Nederlands (Holland), Germany and Italy.

DownUnder, if you don't pick and choose, you're mad :), it can mean 3 - 5 times the download speeds, even more. ;)

Nice one, Ptah :p

Wizard

Now that's interesting :D

For the benefit of The Viewers, I'll give a little insight into how a Mint Install works in Australia and you may see comparisons.

Ubuntu itself developed the Ubiquity Installer, and it is in all 'buntus, Linux Mint, Zorin and anything else based on Ubuntu.

One of the steps with Ubuntu's Ubiquity is to ask if you want to install updates and save time later, and to install 3rd party software from other partners &c.

Clem's team at Linux Mint, with their version of Ubiquity, dispensed with the updates offer a year or two ago, and just left the 3rd party software.

With Ubuntu, you just get the software from the one Ubuntu Repository. With Mint (in Australia), we get the Linux Mint software from the Repository in USA, and the Ubuntu software from the UK. This is where we get bottlenecks.

With many but not all, Linux Distros, you can choose, even at the Live Stage, to choose your fastest available server/s which may or may not be geographically closest to you. We have 9 Servers for Linux Mint, of which 4 are in Australia. We have 21 for Ubuntu, of which 16 are Australia, 1 New Zealand and 4 other nations.

If that option of choosing a faster server is not available to you in the Live stage, then you are possibly better off running your updates, AFTER the install, particularly if the Distro you are installing has been out for some time, and will require a lot of updates. Examples of this would include Linux Mint 18.3 and Ubuntu 16.04.

We are advised to have an Internet Connection in place when we install, and some Distros even prefer an Ethernet connection and fix up the WiFi later.

In this case, the OP (original poster) has employed good troubleshooting skills and remained disconnected until after the install.

I always recommend to folks installing that the Live scene is a good opportunity to test WiFi, Sound, Printers &c work satisfactorily, but it is hard to predict an occasion such as the OP has encountered.

Also, even when you choose not to install updates, if you are connected, most Distros will go ahead anyway and download and install the latest Linux kernel software - the Devs (developers) would likely maintain that this is for security, bug fixes, &c. I don't see that as an issue if you enable your Firewall and establish your fastest servers straight after install.

Where @Ptahhotep lives is the Isle of Man, between Great Britain and Ireland in the Irish Sea. He may have access to many Servers, and even get good results from eg France, Nederlands (Holland), Germany and Italy.

DownUnder, if you don't pick and choose, you're mad :), it can mean 3 - 5 times the download speeds, even more. ;)

Nice one, Ptah :p

Wizard
Thanks for this insight. I wonder how many other types of install there are. I must admit that I thought there would be one way for all territories through out the world. Might be interesting to hear from others on this.

Members online