Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. Follow us on twitter - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages. https://twitter.com/linuxdotorg
    Dismiss Notice

Hard drive partition scheme

Discussion in 'General Server' started by fewjr, Feb 8, 2019.

1. fewjr

fewjr New Member

Hello again folks,
    I have a question that I hope I could get some suggestions on. So I've figured out quite a bit the last week or so. I ended up reinstalling Ubuntu Server. I have a 120GB ssd that the OS is installed on and four 2TB hard drives. Right now two of those are set as raid1. I'll probably add the other two later.
    I have seen where some people suggest setting up a /home, /var partitions, among others separate from /. I didn't do that. So one question is does my 120 GB SSD have enough space on it if I start out with Plex media server but then start adding other functions like a file server or my own cloud, etc? If I have all that storage space in a raid configuration, is it only there to store all my media files or would the array be used for other things besides storage? I can't find any articles explaining different concepts or proper ways of having a servers drives setup. I hope I'm being clear in what I'm asking.
    Also I keep reading that Ubuntu Server 18.04 doesn't require a swap partition anymore, that they went to a swap file but when I install it it had a swap partition! So if I manually setup partitions, do I have to create a swap partition or not?

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

Thanks,
    fewjr

2. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

I am not a Server expert, @fewjr ... but how much RAM do you have?

Wiz

3. fewjr

fewjr New Member

I'm at work but I believe I put 8 or 16 in that box.

4. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

Ta (Aussie for thanks, pron. "tar") for that.

I run about 80 Linux, and below is a shot of most of what I have on my WD My Book external 4TB

[​IMG]

34 partitions, including about 30 Linux.

Note the absence of Swap.

IMO, since we exceeded 4 GB RAM, or certainly 6 - 8, there is basically no need for Swap. Unless you are doing a whole lot of memory-intensive work such as video or music editing/producing, perhaps Google Earth. When I have had Swap, none was ever used.

There is a feature called Swappiness we can tweak, that will use more of your available RAM before it goes looking for Swap.

Also, we can incorporate a Swap Files as you have mentioned, or even a Swap on the Fly process, if needed.

I cannot speak for Server operations, but I would be inclined to try it without, first, and then incorporate it if you find you need it.

I have been doing this for over 3 years now, from a time with 8GB of RAM, and currently have 16 GB.

Your call, though

Cheers

Enjoy your Linux, and

Avagudweegend.

Wizard

Rob likes this.