Hard Drive Issues

r0ctos

Reaction score
Credits
Firstly, I'm on Lubuntu 18.04

Now let's describe the problem.

At first I thought my hard drive was overheating because my computer was crashing and wasn't able to recognize my hard drive for a while.

But after going in my Disk settings, my hard drive was crashing at 25°C. Which is not an overheating problem.

So right now i'm thinking that it might be that the hard drive is not writing enough information for the computer.

How can I check if it's that, is there a command for it ? And might it be another problem ?

Btw my hard drive is a Maxtor 230GB

Thanks if you reply !

Ps. The hard drive sometimes do so weird ticking noises

G'day r0ctos, and Welcome to linux.org

I will leave the commands to someone better versed than myself, but, ...how full or otherwise is that hard drive ?

G'day r0ctos, and Welcome to linux.org

I will leave the commands to someone better versed than myself, but, ...how full or otherwise is that hard drive ?
Hi Condobloke, I have 178GB of storage unused, may it be that my hard drive is doing a "logical crashing"?

Do you have a backup of your data ?....is a backup necessary, or are you prepared to lose whatever is on there ?

Do you have a backup of your data ?....is a backup necessary, or are you prepared to lose whatever is on there ?
I have a backup for my most important stuff, but I don't care about the other things

Run the hard drive check program...I am unfamiliar with Lubuntu......it may already be available in the software manager on your pc...otherwise just follow the directions

Run the hard drive check program...I am unfamiliar with Lubuntu......it may already be available in the software manager on your pc...otherwise just follow the directions
Lubuntu is basically the same as Ubuntu

Yes I know....I am also fairly unfamiliar with Ubuntu :D

just have a look in whatever the 'software manager' is on your pc....if it is there...cool !!.....if not just follow the instruction for ubuntu on the link i supplied. :cool:

Yes I know....I am also fairly unfamiliar with Ubuntu :D

just have a look in whatever the 'software manager' is on your pc....if it is there...cool !!.....if not just follow the instruction for ubuntu on the link i supplied. :cool:
Ok, so I've already had the program installed on my PC, I'll try to run it and make a scan, just hope my computer won't crash again

It says : Error unmounting/dev/sda1:target is busy (udisks-error-quark, 14)

ok. I will assume it cannot "check" the hard drive because it is unable to unmount a hard drive that is in use. Makes sense.

If you have a usb loaded with any ubuntu or linux, you could boot the pc to that usb stick....and then run Smartmontools from the 'live' usb.......are you familiar with that concept/idea ?

ok. I will assume it cannot "check" the hard drive because it is unable to unmount a hard drive that is in use. Makes sense.

If you have a usb loaded with any ubuntu or linux, you could boot the pc to that usb stick....and then run Smartmontools from the 'live' usb.......are you familiar with that concept/idea ?
Yes, I'll try it, I actually found the problem, but I'll need your solution to fix it

Basically hard drive is doing Logical Crash so it's still running but it's not sending data to the pc

Members online

Latest posts