Happy Veterans Day!

• Thread starter Deleted member 137406
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 137406

black patriot

Had my one minute's silence yesterday my time 11 AM.

Thoughts to all concerned.

Wiz

Just a quick note - regarding the US...

Today is Vet's Day. Unlike Memorial Day, it includes the living. Memorial Day is not my day and it's a little weird when people use that day to thank me for my service.

This morning, I went and did the annual Veteran's Day parade. It was a bit chilly with the T-tops off and windows down, but we took the Motion Manta Ray GT - which the crowd appreciated seeing. We put the tops back in for the drive home.

And, as mentioned elsewhere, yesterday was the birthday of the USMC. Nov. 10, 1775, even older than the United States itself. Sadly, there are no local parades for that! It's too bad, 'cause parades are awesome.

Today is Vet's Day. Unlike Memorial Day, it includes the living.

Aah, I misunderstood that distinction.

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month commemorates the ending of World War I in 1918 - here we call it Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, and at 11 AM you stop for a minute's silence.

Aah, I misunderstood that distinction.

The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month commemorates the ending of World War I in 1918 - here we call it Armistice Day or Remembrance Day, and at 11 AM you stop for a minute's silence.

I actually mentioned those in today's article - and made a short article for today.

In the US, it has been expanded beyond the original scope. It was originally Armistice Day, until 1954 (here in the US). It was a day to remember the War To End All Wars. Today, it's quite watered down and a good excuse for a parade and the last BBQ before snow flies - though we sometimes have snow at this time of the year here where I live.

Veteran's Day includes the living, a day to give thanks to those who served. Memorial Day, as mentioned, is a day to give thanks to those who served *and* did not come back alive. So, this morning a fraternal order and I brought out some wreaths to hang on grave stones and then had ourselves a parade. The weather was cooperative.

It's entirely coincidence that the Marine Corps birthday was yesterday. The two events are entirely unrelated, with the birthday coming from 1775. The USMC were founded in a tavern, called Tun's Tavern, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

Personally, I use Veteran's Day to gently remind folks of the USMC birthday. It's a significant day for me, albeit not as significant as Veteran's Day. Today, again in the US, is a day we celebrate/remember 'em all. So long as you served honorably, today is your day.

Anyone with a less than honorable discharge isn't really celebrated, which I see as an oversight as not everyone discharged dishonorably deserved that...

At risk of almost crossing the line, I need to explain that last statement. I won't attach more to it than required, but it wasn't that long ago that one could be summarily discharged due to their sexual preferences. So, I think there's a little bit of honor missing and, I stress, that's just my opinion on the matter - but it is a matter of fact.

So when is Memorial Day? (I know, I could Google it but I am a lazy sod today)

Memorial Day is celebrated the last Monday in May. So, the date can vary somewhat.

It's usually considered the start of tourism season (in my area) and Labor Day is when tourist season stops. The reality is much more complicated and it's a four-seasons tourist area, with a variety of tourist destinations that depend on the season.

I'm within a very short drive of three ski slopes, two of which are world class. There are many other slopes, but they're smaller.

Members online