Hand Surgery

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I've known for the last year or so that I had carpal tunnel syndrome.

Back in July a painful cyst showed up after trying to do bicep curls with a barbell.

Since July the pain, tingling and swelling have gotten worse with the carpal tunnel.
The cyst the Dr. said is attached to the joint in the wrist.

I haven't been able to do any painting or colored pencil work in 6 weeks because of the pain being that bad.
In truth, I really do not want to have surgery however; it's to the point that if I try to use my right hand at all for anything the pain is so bad that I can't deal with it anymore.

Have any of you guys had this type of surgery?

Had both hands done back in 2020/21 had carpel tunnel from typing so much over the years. It went well and I've had no lingering pain since. Took a couple weeks for recovery. Had it done with just local anesthesia, was awake during the whole procedure. Had been told that recovery was faster that way and seemed to be true. Good luck on whatever you choose. But if the pain is that bad I would not hesitate to have it done. Check out the surgeon first though.

Yes, the orthopedic Dr. diagnosed it as carpal tunnel syndrome.

Carpal tunnel syndrome it's a result of weak muscles in the hand, but you can't exercise while you are in pain due to carpal tunnel syndrome and the hand weakens further, it's a catch 22 situation.

I had the symptoms but I never did the surgery, I let my hands rest for a long time and then I trained the muscles that are responsible for the opening of the fingers, not the closing. That was a long time ago, I am fine since, a guitar player and a keyboard warrior. Good luck

Had both hands done back in 2020/21 had carpel tunnel from typing so much over the years. It went well and I've had no lingering pain since. Took a couple weeks for recovery. Had it done with just local anesthesia, was awake during the whole procedure. Had been told that recovery was faster that way and seemed to be true. Good luck on whatever you choose. But if the pain is that bad I would not hesitate to have it done. Check out the surgeon first though.
Thanks for the details.
I checked out the reviews on the Dr.
He has very good reviews online.

Did you have to do a lot of hand exercises to get yours hands back to good strength?

Carpal tunnel syndrome it's a result of weak muscles in the hand, but you can't exercise while you are in pain due to carpal tunnel syndrome and the hand weakens further, it's a catch 22 situation.

I had the symptoms but I never did the surgery, I let my hands rest for a long time and then i trained the muscles that are responsible for the opening of the fingers, not the closing. That was a long time ago, I am fine since, a guitar player and a keyboard warrior. Good luck
Thanks!

In truth, I really do not want to have surgery however; it's to the point that if I try to use my right hand at all for anything the pain is so bad that I can't deal with it anymore.

I can relate. While in school, I worked in a shoe shop - making high heeled shoes. Sometimes, the wrist will flare up and even turning a doorknob is accompanied with sharp searing pain. I am currently wearing a wrist wrap, but I don't have any cysts in my wrist.

I refused surgical options all those years ago. I'd probably consider it today, with the advancements made in the medical field.

I have had some hand surgery, but they didn't do anything to fix the carpel tunnel. That was more an emergency surgery, for reasons too long to get into.

But, I have a sister who passed away and her wrist surgery didn't end well. That was decades ago.

Her daughter had surgery, it was arthroscopic. She's got improved flexibility and significantly less pain. She too still has flare ups where it's worse than normal. But, it's improved from where it was.

If you've got cysts, that's not gonna get better quickly. I'd follow the doctor's advice and get the surgery to remove it and, while they're in there, they can clean up some of the messes made from your carpel tunnel.

I can relate. While in school, I worked in a shoe shop - making high heeled shoes. Sometimes, the wrist will flare up and even turning a doorknob is accompanied with sharp searing pain. I am currently wearing a wrist wrap, but I don't have any cysts in my wrist.

I refused surgical options all those years ago. I'd probably consider it today, with the advancements made in the medical field.

I have had some hand surgery, but they didn't do anything to fix the carpel tunnel. That was more an emergency surgery, for reasons too long to get into.

But, I have a sister who passed away and her wrist surgery didn't end well. That was decades ago.

Her daughter had surgery, it was arthroscopic. She's got improved flexibility and significantly less pain. She too still has flare ups where it's worse than normal. But, it's improved from where it was.

If you've got cysts, that's not gonna get better quickly. I'd follow the doctor's advice and get the surgery to remove it and, while they're in there, they can clean up some of the messes made from your carpel tunnel.
Yeah, the Dr. said while he is doing the surgery to correct carpal tunnel he can/will remove the cyst too.
Anythings better than the pain I've been having.

Anythings better than the pain I've been having.

Surgery sucks. Physical therapy sucks more, at least at first. But, you do it 'cause you gotta do it. It's gonna hurt. You will sometimes hate the therapist.

PT sucks, but it doesn't suck as much as what can happen if you do not do PT.

The same is true for (some) surgery. Surgery sucks, but it doesn't suck as much as it does if you don't get surgery.

Thanks for the details.
I checked out the reviews on the Dr.
He has very good reviews online.

Did you have to do a lot of hand exercises to get yours hands back to good strength?
not too much as I remember. Did a little but not overly. All seemed to work out for me.

@kc1di--
Did you have to go to physical therapy?
No, My surgeon gave me some exercises to do, did them as instructed and all went well. However I did not have any cysts involved either so you mileage may differ :)

@kc1di--
How long ago did you have the surgery?
Any input helps--
I had the Left hand done in Dec of 2020. and the right one done in May of 2021. So it's been about 2 years.

I had the Left hand done in Dec of 2020. and the right one done in May of 2021. So it's been about 2 years.
I appreciate what you have shared, thank you.

Now I have a better idea of what to say to the Dr.

Enjoy the weekend!

I appreciate what you have shared, thank you.

Now I have a better idea of what to say to the Dr.

Enjoy the weekend!
You also, all the best on your procedure.

Members online

Latest posts