Hacked Ring Cams Used to Record Swatting Victims

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

1671502972603.png

Two U.S. men have been charged with hacking into the Ring home security cameras of a dozen random people and then “swatting” them — falsely reporting a violent incident at the target’s address to trick local police into responding with force. Prosecutors say the duo used the compromised Ring devices to stream live video footage on social media of police raiding their targets’ homes, and to taunt authorities when they arrived.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/12/hacked-ring-cams-used-to-record-swatting-victims/
More

See? Yeah, that crosses a line. I gotta avoid politics so I'll simply point out that police departments responding to crisis situations are often eager in their responses to crisis situations. This means those sort of things have ended up deadly, even when the people were completely innocent.

So, yeah... That crosses a line. That crosses a big red line.

I suppose it could also be said that the Police are damned if they do (react with force...and the situation turns out to be false) and damned if they dont....if they approach softly softly and the situation turns out be as described and some poor unfortunate dies as a result of their low key approach.

Police....not a job I would like to have had.

Hi Condo.

Yes some people put web or cloud linked cameras all over their property as well as on front door – OMG

Some even have SMART TVs with a camera and microphone built in to spy on you - OMG

Some even have SMART Speakers and talk to them via inbuilt spy microphone – OMG

They can all be hacked – OMG

"Alexa, hack yourself" - researchers describe new exploit that turns smart speakers against themselves :) :)

https://www.bitdefender.com/blog/ho...that-turns-smart-speakers-against-themselves/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinm...o-surreptitiously-record-everything-it-hears/

You can’t protect people from their own …..

Well, thats too bad for the victims, the problem with having public armed gaurds should be kinda obvious...

Well, thats too bad for the victims, the problem with having public armed gaurds should be kinda obvious...

Careful... We gotta avoid the politics. You're kinda close to the line.

For example, I resisted sharing my thoughts about American police officers 'cause that'd be political in nature. I really wanted to share my thoughts, but I did not.

Hopefully the two Idiots will get their 12 years in prison

Maybe? In one case, there was a death involved. In that case, only one person got 'serious' time - and it was compiled with a whole lot of other charges. Like, a whole lot other charges.

Hopefully the two Idiots will get their 12 years in prison
In my opinion that's a little harsh, BUT I would not feel sorry for them if they did! There are definetly consequences for sending swat teams to people's homes. The little boy who cried SWAT team...

All the cameras on my property are good old fashion reliable wired cameras.

If you don't live in my house than you don't get no access to my wifi plain and simple.

Non resident wireless devices aren't allowed to be connected to my internet which seems to irritate some of my family but I don't care they will get over it.

I don't care for wireless devices even though I have them.
I don't trust no wireless devices or wireless internet period.

I really don't trust wired Ethernet but I trust wired Ethernet more than wireless.
I ain't paranoid either I'm just a realist and besides I'm taking my medication regularly. :p :rolleyes:

All the cameras on my property are good old fashion reliable wired cameras.

If you don't live in my house than you don't get no access to my wifi plain and simple.

Non resident wireless devices aren't allowed to be connected to my internet which seems to irritate some of my family but I don't care they will get over it.

I don't care for wireless devices even though I have them.
I don't trust no wireless devices or wireless internet period.

I really don't trust wired Ethernet but I trust wired Ethernet more than wireless.
I ain't paranoid either I'm just a realist and besides I'm taking my medication regularly. :p :rolleyes:

Lol, "sicko", imagine putting a camera in your child's room in order to check up on them...i thought my parents were weird helicopter parents....

Does my memory serve me correctly?....wasn't there a topic about a front door bell camera somewhere on the site??....or have I been drinking too much tea.....

Does my memory serve me correctly?....wasn't there a topic about a front door bell camera somewhere on the site??....or have I been drinking too much tea.....
no there was and/or is, i think there was two, there was one about neighbors wanting people to do things for them, and i think you posted something else on here about cyber doorbells...

no there was and/or is, i think there was two, there was one about neighbors wanting people to do things for them, and i think you posted something else on here about cyber doorbells...
@Condobloke No hiding from you. ;)

Before I install anything like that, I want to segment my network into separate 802.11q VLANs (virtual networks) with separate WiFi SSIDs coupled to those same VLANS. I want those devices isolated from the rest of my network. I don't trust them, and especially do not trust them long term, when support wanes and disappears.

That is not an easy task. I have the switches, but am not happy with the WiFi access points and want to replace them before I configure the VLANS. That will take some time. In the meantime, they are running like conventional unmanaged switches. The cheapest switches that support VLANs have a terrible user interface and very confusing documentation, by the way.

Members online

No members online now.