Guest addition/Higher resolution

Resakra

Reaction score
Credits
Good evening everybody!
Trying to get higher resolution of my VB and to activate insert guest addition cd image does not work: unable to insert the optimal disc
sudo apt install virtualbox-guest utils or virtualbox-ose-guest-x11 or virtualbox-ose-guest-dkms throws an error of Unable to locate the packege . Any advice?

guest machine: Ubuntu 20

Last edited:

I believe the package name in the repositories are virtualbox-guest-additions-iso, so try:
Code:
sudo apt install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso
and see if that works. If it doesn't, try install some linux headers and dkms using the following command
Code:
sudo apt install build-essential dkms

Yes same with slackware - you have to install the separate guest edition PKG for that extra options

Thanks Jared.
I get dkms to install but still have problem to "locate the packages, utils and x11" with or without hwe which are in repositories.

What happens when you download the correct iso version which matches your virtualbox version. Connect that iso to you virtual machine, then boot your virtual machine, and than see if it is mounted. Then from there I think you have to run a run file as root in order to install the guest additions.

Edit: I just tried it myself
1. Connect Guest Additions iso to virtual machine.
2. Power on Virtual machine.
3. Go to location where iso is mounted: cd /media/$username/VBox_GA_x.x.x
4. sudo apt-get install gcc make perl
5. sudo ./VboxLinuxAdditions.run
6. Reboot after it's done.

What Jared said should work, this is just the alternative manual way.

Last edited:

Members online