Grub2 issues with multiple Antergos distros

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
@Charland brought up Antergos and it’s been a while since I tired playing with it so I tried to load multiple Antergos installs on a back up laptop (#2). I’m able to install them but the grub menu will only allow me to boot the last distro installed. I have to boot into BIOS and manually choose the flavor I want. Anyone know how to get the Antergos grub menu to give me the option to choose which distro to boot into?

Not I, said the fly :)

Ask me in a couple of weeks, lol.

What DEs, and what do you get when you try an entry from Grub that does not work?

Perhaps take a phone pic.

Wiz

Hahaha fair enough! I’m just playing around with it to be honest. My primary system is running well (crosses fingers and knocks on all the wood I can find). After @Charland mentioned Antergos I just decided to revisit it.

Next time I log in I’ll grab a photo. Essentially Antergos brings you to a grub menu on power up. The issue is even with multiple Antergos distros and using one /boot/efi partition I’m only given the choice to load the last installed Antergos.

Ok so I ran a small experiment with the Antergos issue. I installed Manjaro 18 on the HDD and left the 2 Antergos distros installed on the SDD. Since Manjaro is the last distro installed I now have the Manjaro grub menu and I can choose between Manjaro BUT only 1 of the Antergos distros installed on the laptop. It is almost if the laptop (or grub) will only recognize 1 Antergos installation...

By the looks of that, Antergos KDE has not been installed, albeit it is labelled. The only space consumed is that which is allocated for formatting purposes as an overhead to setting up an EXT4 partition of that size.

:confused:o_O

Wiz

Now that I am looking at it I see exactly what you are saying. I installed Manjaro KDE over the partition that was listed as Antergos KDE and I can now boot into either Manjaro (KDE or XFCE) or Antergos Deepin. I don't know if the Antergos installer does something when trying to install more than one Antergos flavor on the same disk? I'm sure you are familiar, but in case you aren't there is only one download for Antergos and from that download the installer gives the option to choose the DE to install.

I'm sure you are familiar, but in case you aren't there is only one download for Antergos and from that download the installer gives the option to choose the DE to install.

I am aware of that. Their site says six (6), but I thought I saw 9 - 10 when last I installed.

I have 2 on the Dell at the moment, KDE and MATE, but the MATE was a case of it being on the Toshiba Satellite laptop (#2 so to speak), and I updated it, Timeshifted a snapshot onto a stick and then dropped it on here.

I don't know if the Antergos installer does something when trying to install more than one Antergos flavor on the same disk?

Only The Shadow knows :eek::confused::rolleyes::cool:

Wizard

Just a heads up that you won't like (or perhaps won't be surprised) what happens with your current mix, if an Antergos gets on top of the leaderboard :)

There are a number of options, see if you figure one out :D

Friday in Oz so to all and sundry

Avagudweegend

Wizard

I am pretty certain I know what happens, I will only be able to load the Antergos distro. Ultimately that was why I installed it first and then loaded the Manjaro distros. What is driving me crazy is why??? :confused:

What is driving me crazy is why??? :confused:

Short answer is that Manjaro, Antergos and some other Arch-based Distros load intel ucode earlier than other Distros do, and that interferes with the "recognition of others" process.

Longer answer I am still working on.

Cheers

Wiz

Hmmm so this is somewhat similar to the kernel panic between Ubuntu and Manjaro?

Exactimundo, give the laddie a cigar :)

https://forum.antergos.com/topic/10935/multiple-antergos-des-on-the-same-laptop

Here is the advice I received from the Antergos forum, thought you may be interested...

Hhmmm ... jlap4 sounds familiar :rolleyes:

The answer pincushionman has given you is not the answer to the question you asked. His answer is about putting multiple DEs on the same install, just one Antergos, with the choice of DE made at login.

Or is that what you would prefer? There are difficulties with conflicting and shared dependencies, as he has said.

Did you want me to respond there, and then bring the material back here?

Wiz

Exactimundo, give the laddie a cigar :)

Hahaha... see I learned something!

The answer pincushionman has given you is not the answer to the question you asked. His answer is about putting multiple DEs on the same install, just one Antergos, with the choice of DE made at login.

That is what I figured. As appealing as this sounds I am not going this route. Everything I have read and everything I have learned through this forum has convinced me that there are far too many conflicts for that type of set up to be functional. I was just sharing!

Fine, thought that was the case.

I might swing into Antergos Forum anyway - their Members could benefit from the "custom.cfg" setup (it applies to Antergos as it does to Manjaro, with differences).

Currently I have a Manjaro Xfce on a Grub Menu which is nested under an Antergos KDE, which in turn is nested under an Antergos MATE which is in primary partition spot.

I'll be reverting next day or so to a more sensible setup.

Big diff between Antergos and Manjaro is - once Manjaro is either on top of the leaderboard or is recognised with a submenu built using custom.cfg, it will recognise all other Distros including all other Arch-based ones ... Antergos won't.

You can build into it a custom.cfg recognising one other Antergos, but that's it.

Wiz

Members online