grub

yeskendir

Reaction score
Credits
I installed debian by erasing my hard disk, but grub of previous system is left. How to delete it?

G'day @yeskendir , you are going to need to do a whole lot more than that Post above :)

You are in the Mint Section, are you trying to install Mint? If so, which one?

Show us some screenshots or some Terminal output, take a cell phone picture.

Fair go.

Wizard

As I said before, I erased whole disk where mint was installed. But after installation Mint's grub is left.

I just want to delete grub2. I tried to use efibootmgr, but it doesn't help.

I have not used EFI Boot Manager before, so I cannot help there.

Why do you want to delete Grub 2?

because I have two grubs. And I want to delete which belongs to mint

How did you "erase" the drive ??

So that was your method of erasing what was on there before?

(I assume there is no windows still installed there at all ?)

because I have two grubs. And I want to delete which belongs to mint

By that, do you mean that you have a Grub Menu at startup, which features lines about Debian and lines about Linux Mint, but Linux Mint is no longer onboard and you want to change that Menu?

Wizard

Sounds like you deleted the root partition but didn't delete the others. you can fix your grub menu as follows:

Code:
Refresh GRUB configuration on a BIOS system:
# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Refresh GRUB configuration on UEFI systems:
#grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

As usual you will have to adjust the above to fit your system. If you don't know what to do then post the output from the following command:

Code:
df -h

G'day Robert, nice to see you, but you are off on a tangent here a little (there is a Fedora Thread current elsewhere).

OP is talking Debian and Linux Mint.

That is where I was leading with #11.

Correct commands are

Code:
sudo update-grub

or

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Cheers

Wizard

No tangent here. I also use Sabayon, which is a Gentoo product, and the directories are almost in the same place. The UEFI is something I pulled of the net. I'm not running Fedora and don'r plan to but I do have Centos installed on a few machines.

Nope, you've still lost me :) (some might say that that is my permanent state of mind, but I turn them into toads).

Where does the Fedora and Sabayon come into this?

I am aware of the Fedora nuances between EFI and non-EFI have had Fedora since WS 23.

Also have Sabayon (since 2015) and Calculate from the Gentoo.

The OP has gone from Debian to Mint to Debian. Can you enlighten us on where you are headed?

Cheers

Wiz

Members online