Grub Rescue - the laptop won't boot

A

Alessandro

First of all I'm italian, so I apologize for my bad english.

Second, i have a big problem. I have a new Sony Vaio Pro 13 (so, it's an ultrabook WITHOUT the CD drive), which had Windows 8 pre installed. I needed to install Ubuntu in dual boot for university purposes. So, i shrinked the win partition and created a new partition, and from a bootable usb stick i created a swap partition and an ext4 partition, and installed ubuntu. Due to several failures, i used the Boot-repair tool, which installed the grub 2 bootloader, from which i could start ubuntu and windows. Anyway ubuntu didn't start, it showed me an error, but this is not the problem. The problem is that, due to this error, i decided to try again (because maybe i did something wrong), so i logged into windows and deleted the two linux partitions, creating an unallocated space, and rebooted with the usb stick on. But i got stuck in the "grub rescue".

I looked in the internet, but i found nothing, because

1. the booting order is FIRST the ssd drive and second the usb stick (when i installed ubuntu before, i loaded the usb stick from a Sony Uefi-like menu, which had 4 options, and one of them was "boot fom usb");
  2. i don't have a cd/dvd drive, because the laptop is an ultrabook;
  3. i don't have linux installed on the drive anymore (because as i said above, i deleted the partitions).
What can i do? In some days i have an university exam and i need to get to my documents as soon as i can..

boot on live linux stick and reconfigure the parition then reinstall linux. and make sure you set usb as the first boot order.

Members online

Latest posts