Grub rescue problem

it might be quicker to just install slackware !

start with bios first go in there and see if you can fix date

or try # date --help

but before that lets try output for :

# apt-cache pkgnames boot-repair

Last edited:

it might be quicker to just install slackware !

start with bios first go in there and see if you can fix date

or try # date --help

but before that lets try output for :

# apt-cache pkgnames boot-repair
1592832831809.jpg

an update there is no boot-rescue on kali repo but there is :

kali@kali:~$ sudo apt-cache pkgnames grub
grub-legacy
grub-doc
grub-efi
grub-emu
grub-coreboot
grub-linuxbios
grub-common
grub-customizer
grub-efi-amd64-signed-template
grub-invaders
grub-coreboot-bin
grub-ieee1275-bin
grub-coreboot-dbg
grub-xen-bin
grub-ieee1275-dbg
grub-pc-bin-dbgsym
grub-xen-dbg
grub2-common
grub2-common-dbgsym
grub-disk
grub-legacy-doc
grub-splashimages
grub-pc
grub-cloud-amd64
grub-theme-breeze
grub-imageboot
grub-xen
grub-pc-bin
grub-pc-dbg
grub-efi-amd64-bin
grub-common-dbgsym
grub-efi-amd64-dbg
grub-rescue-pc
grub-ieee1275
grub2
grub-efi-amd64
grub-efi-ia32
grub-efi-ia32-bin
grub2-splashimages
grub-efi-ia32-dbg
grub-emu-dbg
grub-xen-host
grub-theme-starfield
grub-firmware-qemu

from kali live :

sudo apt-get install grub2

it gives an option where grub should be installed including my HD; thus that would be one way of getting grub with all its stuff back onto hd from live usb.

video is fine but

# lsmod normal

failed at start of thread, maybe could have tried more permutations but O.P has not come back so far

Medical appointments keeping me busy - regrets.

Are you there, @kushal140 ? I'll be back tomorrow if you let me know, with some possibly faster alternatives.

Are you in India and if so, what time zone?

Wizard

I have taken back up of my data through booting live, and now deleting the complete , and re-installing it by downloading new version of Kali Linux iso file.
And Thanks for support and help for teaching new things.

Can I dual boot two Linux OS ?
Are Kali Linux and Ubuntu compatible with each other?

Hi @kushal140 nice to see you back ..Yes some people on here have several distro all on one disk. IN the old days we were limited by "primary partitions" of 4 if my memory serves me well and then "logical" partitions. With the new GPT the limit is beyond my wildest dreams . If Linux distros are installed on separate partitions they don't communicate with each other nor try to be incompatible. Its the boot loader that picks the one to boot up .

So out of interest did you get any joy with grub rescue ? and what has happened since you were last on ?

i can rant on , since i'm waiting for my dinner to go down and if there's anything that can't be fixed , Wiz should be back soon ..a Chris but of course we will all try to help. I was going to say one thing that everybody should have is a usb stick with some handy tools. Even if your hard drive fails you can still access the internet via a live OS on a usb ..as @arochester once stated i think .

Medical appointments keeping me busy - regrets.

Are you there, @kushal140 ? I'll be back tomorrow if you let me know, with some possibly faster alternatives.

Are you in India and if so, what time zone?

Wizard
Stay strong and be active
Hi @kushal140 nice to see you back ..Yes some people on here have several distro all on one disk. IN the old days we were limited by "primary partitions" of 4 if my memory serves me well and then "logical" partitions. With the new GPT the limit is beyond my wildest dreams . If Linux distros are installed on separate partitions they don't communicate with each other nor try to be incompatible. Its the boot loader that picks the one to boot up .

So out of interest did you get any joy with grub rescue ? and what has happened since you were last on ?
After reboot, the grub rescue screen i386 file not found, screen appeared.