Grub rescue after reset bios

Yousi

Reaction score
Credits
I've installed linux two times before , in the first time I installed it and used window's efi partition then I deleted it and deleted manjaro from the efi partition and fixed the bootloader ,in the second time I installed it with separate efi partition then I deleted it and deleted the efi partition and fixed windows bootloader .
And now I have windows only , My problem now is when I reset bios setting and device start working I find grub rescue problem I can solve it easily by fixixing booloader using CMD from bootable USB
By using this commands

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

But I can see the proplem again after reseting bios again
I wish from you to help me and thanks

Last edited:

I've installed linux two times before , in the first time I installed it and used window's efi partition then I deleted it and deleted manjaro from the efi partition and fixed the bootloader ,in the second time I installed it with separate efi partition then I deleted it and deleted the efi partition and fixed windows bootloader .
And now I have windows only , My problem now is when I reset bios setting and device start working I find grub rescue problem I can solve it easily by fixixing booloader using CMD from bootable USB
By using this commands

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

But I can see the proplem again after reseting bios again
I wish from you to help me and thanks
Do you have multiple disks in your system?

Last edited:
No , only one
If you have a way of booting into a windows rescue environment for example with a CD (no idea how that works) you can try this. If not create a usb drive with a live linux distro on it, for example Ubuntu and boot into live mode from the usb drive. Then install efibootmgr (sudo apt-get install efibootmgr), once you have that install open a terminal and run:
Code:
efibootmgr -v
Share the output here or if you get the idea you can read the rest here. But from the sounds of your problem it seems that the Linux Grub boot is still an option in your UEFI bootmanager.

I did as the link you gave me told , and I don't have Linux entry I have windows boot manger
, Firmware boot manger and firmware applications , no something related to linux

I did as the link you gave me told , and I don't have Linux entry I have windows boot manger
, Firmware boot manger and firmware applications , no something related to linux
Are you able to enter the bios/uefi bootmenu by using one of the f1-f12 keys to then have a few options to boot from also an option including Windows?

Can you make a picture or screenshot of what you saw because I am not sure what you actually did because of your description of what you saw?

I entered bios then boot options and I have windows boot manger only in the disk

I entered bios then boot options and I have windows boot manger only in the disk
And when you select to boot from the option that says Windows boot Manager you end up in a grub rescue mode, is that correct?

No I didn't try that , it boot without problems , but I see the grub rescue after Reseting the bios and when I enter bios to see the boot order during the grub rescue , I don't find windows or Linux or anything

No I didn't try that , it boot without problems , but I see the grub rescue after Reseting the bios and when I enter bios to see the boot order during the grub rescue , I don't find windows or Linux or anything
So from my understanding of your description you aren't able to boot into Windows either. Your best option probably is to boot from the Windows 10 installation cd to then fix your windows bootloader from there. You are probably better off at a Windows forum to get your Windows bootloader fixed, unless someone else here on the forums has experience with recovering/repairing Windows from installation media.

Last edited:
No I didn't try that , it boot without problems
If you are able to boot Windows okay, and you know how to fix Windows with bootrec if needed, then it sounds like you just need to delete the Linux bootloader from your EFI partition. Resetting your BIOS does not delete the Linux bootloaders, so you may still see them listed there. Below are a couple of different ways that may fix this, and maybe one of these will work for you.

From WIndows CMD Prompt (as administrator) -- may need to disable VPN to view this page.
https://www.tenforums.com/installat...unwanted-boot-entries-bios-solved-easily.html

Video -- instructions to delete Linux bootloader starts about 1.5 minutes into the video.

@Yousi
What was the output of efibootmgr -v when you booted from a usb into the live environment? Could you please share that here? This way we can see what your uefi boot manager looks like.

I haven't tried this yet ، but if the problem in the efi partition I think it will be fixed by reinstalling windows and recreating the efi partition ?!

If you are able to boot Windows okay, and you know how to fix Windows with bootrec if needed, then it sounds like you just need to delete the Linux bootloader from your EFI partition. Resetting your BIOS does not delete the Linux bootloaders, so you may still see them listed there. Below are a couple of different ways that may fix this, and maybe one of these will work for you.

From WIndows CMD Prompt (as administrator) -- may need to disable VPN to view this page.
https://www.tenforums.com/installat...unwanted-boot-entries-bios-solved-easily.html

Video -- instructions to delete Linux bootloader starts about 1.5 minutes into the video.
I have already removed Linux from efi partition

I haven't tried this yet ، but if the problem in the efi partition I think it will be fixed by reinstalling windows and recreating the efi partition ?!
How do you expect people to help you if you aren't providing any information when asked to do something that may provide some useful information. It's impossible to come with solutions when not being provided by actual data, in this case the data of what your efibootmgr looks like.

How do you expect people to help you if you aren't providing any information when asked to do something that may provide some useful information. It's impossible to come with solutions when not being provided by actual data, in this case the data of what your efibootmgr looks like.
Because I am out of the house now and the information I gave you, because I already have it because I tried these methods before,
Right now I want to know if the problem can be solved by rebuilding the efi partition

that should be a sticky lol

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr

i thought that code was for none uefi pc's which then put boot info legacy way on the MBR?
No, the commands worked with me and helped me to boot into Windows, but I see the problem again by resetting the BIOS and I want to know the reason, and I knew this by chance because I needed to reset it to solve a problem

Try supergrubdisk rescatux, download, copy to usb drive, then boot from it, and then try the option "Reinstall Microsoft Windows UEFI" Good luck.

Attachments

• rescatux-073-principal-articulo-1024x576.png
    rescatux-073-principal-articulo-1024x576.png
    248.9 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

Members online