Grub Install Failed.

_Default

Reaction score
Credits
5 times now, i have tried different things. Ive formatted the space im using for my linux install, ive downloaded a new iso, everything. Every single time i try to install Linux Mint 19, i get error "The 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB bootloader, the installed system will not boot." I am now *extremely* aggravated, as ive done everything people have said to fix this. Is there any other option, other than formatting my harddrive? Earlier today i had to clear suspected corruption on my windows 10 install with "chkdsk" and it came out totally fine. I can now shrink volumes and interact with my disk manager, and i thought i was fine to install linux on a COMPLETELY CLEAN drive, but for some reason i keep getting this error message.

Hi @_Default... sorry this is so difficult. It isn't usually this bad, but as the saying goes, "Stuff happens!" (Or something like that!:D)

@wizardfromoz is probably our best expert on multi-booting, but just a simple dual-boot should indeed not be that hard. Let's go back over some basics that I know you've covered, at least somewhat, in other threads.

1. Did you get the SHA256 checksum to verify with your .iso download. There isn't much sense in trying to install unless you get this step completed.

2. Does your computer have more that one hard drive? I think you're just partitioning a single drive, but I want to be sure.

3. Your error shows up on Google frequently when trying to mix MBR/BIOS configurations with GPT/UEFI. So, during the install process, do you know exactly WHERE you are telling Mint to install the bootloader? I will "assume" (may be fatal) that your Windows 10 is configured for GPT/UEFI.... so if you are telling Mint to put the bootloader on the MBR of /dev/sda.... then this may be your problem.

4. Are you connected to the internet when trying to install Mint?

5. Are you using the 64-bit version of Mint, or the 32-bit version?

Please tell us any other errors or steps where you think it may be failing. We will do our best to get you up and running, but it seems like yours may be one of the tougher cases.

Cheers
Stan

[EDIT: Added questions #4 and #5.]

Last edited:
I did verify my download, I am partitioning a single drive and trying to install Mint on a 400 gb partition with a 5 gb swap partition, question 3... you might have to dumb it down a little bit for me, I am connected to my network while installing, and i am using the 64 bit version of Mint

By the way this is the tutorial I used. I followed each and every step but every time i come out with the same exact error:

Was just going to give you some links too! :D Let me watch yours and I'll be back in a bit.

OK. Where to begin? Here: Backup anything critically important to you on your Windows drive. This is always a 1st step because modifying system partitions and bootloaders can put you in a bad position where nothing will boot (except your DVD/USB). Installing operating systems is far more in depth than installing programs. If you haven't already, you should make a "Recovery USB" of your Windows so that you can restore it if it becomes necessary. Most major computer brands usually have a utility for this.

Windows 10 and UEFI have greatly increased the complexity of adding Linux in a dual-boot scenario. There are many things you should learn along the way here. Some things we may ask you to Google for more info... or else we could end up writing a complete book. And maybe we should do that one day! (But not today!) :D For now let's start with this tidbit about Win 10: do you know when you tell Windows to "shut down"... that it doesn't? Instead it goes into "hibernation" so that it will boot faster (and impress you with its great boot speed). Sometimes this can cause problems, but if you created your "free space" partition as shown in the video, then I don't think you need to worry about this for now. Maybe later. This is commonly called "Fast Boot" and you may want to keep this in the back of your mind, because you may want to disable it later.

The video you are following is almost 3 years old, and it varies somewhat from what you have (as I understand it). In the video, he was doing his demonstration in a "virtual machine"... and you are not (although you can choose to install Linux in a VM in Windows instead of going for a dual-boot). He advised you to change your UEFI to "Legacy mode" (which I disagree with) and he made no mention of Secure Boot in the UEFI settings. I strongly want to encourage you to Google for more info on "installing Linux Mint with Windows 10" and you will find all the links I was looking at earlier, and then some. Go through them and try to gain an understanding of this install process. Try to stay with more current info, but there is still worth in older stuff too... for Win 8 and Ubuntu combinations (because Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Win 8 is much like Win 10 with UEFI).

I use Linux Mint, and I can certify that it works in UEFI (Legacy mode not needed) and it also works with Secure Boot enabled (many other Linux distros can't do this yet). This gets us into the realm of my Question #3... because Legacy mode is old-style MBR/BIOS and your Windows 10 is likely setup as GPT/UEFI. Mixing them up or changing between them can be your trouble, but I can't be sure right now. The video you're following describes the MBR/BIOS method of installing the bootloader.... but your computer is likely set for UEFI booting. This is partly a matter of where the bootloader is stored on your hard drive.... and may be reflected in your error of "/target/" because it isn't getting to the right place.

All of the above is based on your video (and other people also) recommending to use the "Something else" in the Installation Type of the Mint install process. This is because many of these instructions are prepping you to create your partition for Linux first. If I remember correctly... your first option at this step is not to "Erase disk in install Mint"..... I think your first option is to "Install alongside Windows". And I take it you have not tried that???? But this method is different, and you should not have created the partition for Linux first... instead, at this step, if you choose to "Install alongside Windows".... then it will give you a "slider" type of graphic so that you can split your Windows hard drive, moving the slider along to make Windows bigger or smaller. This may be a better/easier option... but it is still not that simple because you still may have to consider where your bootloader is going, or at least you have to think about these things (and Google for more knowledge about this whole process).

I am sorry... I know it's complicated. And this is a big reason for wanting you to have a Recovery USB because you may finally figure out what settings you need (UEFI or Legacy) and how your computer works through trial-and-error. There are many variables because every UEFI is different between one brand and another. But Mint is a great choice for beginners, believe it or not, and once you learn the ins-and-outs of how Linux gets installed on UEFI systems you will soon be able to switch Mint out and install any distro that you want. With any luck, you may even choose to get rid of Windows altogether! :D:D:D

OK, let some of that soak in, and please Google around for more info too. The fact that you can boot Mint in live mode says that you can run Linux... and actually probably pretty easily once you figure out this issue. But if it gets to be too much, you can just run in live mode only on DVD/USB... or you can install into virtual machines in Windows to get more familiar with Linux first.

One last thing: you do not need EasyBCD.... and certainly do not pay for it yet. The Linux bootloader should make Windows available to you when you get it installed correctly, and if not the Linux bootloader (GRUB) then at least your UEFI can provide the boot options between systems.

Cheers

Thing about my BIOS is that i dont have any options that others have. I only have legacy (which is disabled) and i have secureboot. I dont have anything related to UEFI or fastboot. Does this give any more info on anything or am i just giving pointless information to you lol

No, you're fine! UEFI and Legacy are a toggle.... so when you say that Legacy is disabled, then that means that you are using UEFI mode. That's good, IMHO. :D But you see that you are confirming also that all these computer systems are different, and unfortunately this is a real pain. Not your fault! It would be so much easier if UEFI standards were followed... but, oh well.

What is your Secure Boot set for? Enabled should be fine with Mint, but that alone is not causing your problem.

You can get through this, and we'll help as best as we can.... but I hope you understand the trouble from our point of view too because there are so many variables. Take it step by step, and Google around for more info in between times that Wizard or I (or others) can jump in and give some assistance.

Ive been googling like crazy and everything i find doesnt ever work for me. I did have a new question though. A while back on my first install, mint asked me if i wanted to install updates to save time later, but now my new installs arent showing that. Could it be an update problem, like im not getting the update i need to install grub the right way?

Keep Googling... it's good for you! But we do understand the frustration too. There are a lot of smart people out there who have worked on this problem before. For me, this is the first time with your particular error.... so hang in there and be sure to keep Google as your best friend! :D

Now.... you have confused me!!! :confused::confused::D:D Asking you if you want to update while installing is one thing.... but are you really saying that you have a completed installation???? And that it is not properly updated????

One of the links I failed to post suggests that you TURN OFF the internet when you install Mint. But this issue goes both ways.... some say to turn on the internet to fix your error, and others say to turn it off. I had a suggestion typed out to recommend that you try to install with the internet turned off, but I must have deleted that and went off on other tangents.

Maybe I'm confused (I've been up all night and all day, and now it's Bloody Mary time).... do you have Mint installed???

My installation completes, i just cannot install grub because i get an error every time. The whole os works perfect (i would assume because theres no errors for anything else) my only issue is that i just cant boot to it without grub. Thats why i figured theres an update or something that isnt installing correctly before grub attempts to install, thus making it not work proper. Apologies for the confusion!!:confused:

This whole UEFI thing factors in also.... have you tried, after "installing Mint"..... to use your UEFI/BIOS Boot Menu? Sometimes that will show you the Linux boot option! Hit your F2, or F10, or F12, or whatever it is to let you boot on a USB/DVD, and see if there is a Linux Mint boot option, but it may be called Ubuntu instead.

Or sometimes when using the BIOS/UEFI Boot Menu, you may see a screen that gives you a ".." option..... the ".." means to go up one directory, and sometimes at that point you may see an <ubuntu> folder. If so, go into that, and look for something like a efi.shim (that's not exactly right, but you'll recognize it if you see it).... and if you see that, then highlight it and hit Enter to see if Mint will boot.

That makes alot of sense and ill have to try that when i get a chance. I will let you know how it goes and could i possibly install a new grub2 by itself without the official ISO install? If not, is there a way to default booting into the boot manager and not straight into windows so i dont have to spam f9 every time i reboot?

It's hard to say. You see... Windows wants control sometimes. That may be part of the battle, but you have yet to confirm if F9 will let you boot Linux or not. Sometimes you can make it work, and then with the next Windows update... you're back at a Windows default. And you can't escape the Windows updates now with Win 10.... they are mandatory. Sometimes it works so well, and it seems so easy... and sometimes it is a battle. I'm afraid at this point that it seems like a battle for you.... but maybe we just don't have a full handle on the situation yet. Wizard or others may also help to clarify some of this. I'd be happy just to see you boot Mint without your USB/DVD... getting a real boot off of your hard drive. We may not get there tonight, but I think you have a better understanding of what all is going on here.

You know.... if you would erase Windows and let Mint take the whole hard drive.... it would probably work fine! LOL :D:D:D

You know.... if you would erase Windows and let Mint take the whole hard drive.... it would probably work fine! LOL :D:D:D
Yeah haha i was thinking about it because i was so fed up about the whole situation but if this works then i wont have to, so wish me luck!!

Good luck! I've been up for about 30+ hours, so I'm off to bed. G'nite.

Doggone it, sometimes it doesn't pay to live half a world away (unless you live in Australia), I get 8 hours of shuteye, then have guests over for Sunday lunch roast, and I miss 17 Posts :mad:. Mind you, I nailed the pork crackling, Brian would have loved it.

I'll pen some observations, then duck over to the other Thread and do likewise, then come back and do my Likes at leisure over a beer ... OK over another beer. :p

For the benefit of The Viewers, the OP and I traded specs from the command

Code:
inxi - Fxs

at his/her* first Thread here (mine) https://www.linux.org/threads/black...ooking-screen-after-suspend.18601/#post-55617

and here (his/hers*) - can we learn gender, if not too personal? Will respect your choice.

https://www.linux.org/threads/black-screen-or-corrupted-looking-screen-after-suspend.18601/#post-55618

They are in the Spoilers.

In mine is a line

UEFI: Insyde v: 1.60 date: 04/18/2014

In his/hers is a line

UEFI: Insyde v: F.21 date: 10/27/2016

So we are both using UEFI, not BIOS.

There is also a mode called CSM (Compatibility Support Mode) aka "Legacy Mode".

When I am running in Legacy Mode, my same line comes up looking like this, under inxi -Fxs:

UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: 1.60 date: 04/18/2014

... my highlighting.

And the OP and I are also both using Insyde BIOS setup utility, albeit his/hers is more recent. But could prove handy.

Another simple way to determine if using UEFI is ... use your File Manager, or a simple command or two at Terminal.

We are looking for Folder named /sys/firmware/efi - if you have it, you are on UEFI, if you don't, you are on BIOS.

Under my UEFI booting, I have this

jZqaVmR.png

and under CSM (Legacy) mode booting, it looks like this

cf1OoW7.png

Or at Terminal

Code:
cd /sys/firmware/efi

If you don't get as below, you are in BIOS

bEabxQX.png

One more thing is GPT cf MSDOS/MBR

Type this at Terminal and report back the output

Code:
sudo fdisk -l | grep -i "disklabel"

That -l is a lowercase L

The pipe symbol can be found on a QWERTY keyboard likely a little right of letter p, over a backslash, looks like two small vertical lines.

On an AZERTY keyboard it could be under the numeral 6.

Note the space between -l and and | and grep. The -i means case insensitive (will find upper or lower)

I have

FEIzcWY.png

I'm off, back when I can.

Cheers

Chris
wizardfromoz

Tara-ra boom-de-ay....seriously ???!!!.....

you mean like.......
ta-ra-ra-boom-de-ay-song-sheet-cover-comic-song-launched-lottie-.jpg

Well someone is observant :p:cool:;):rolleyes:o_O. Nite Brian