grub "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" " progress limited to last install of multiboot system OS ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anneranch

Reaction score
Credits
On my multiboot system, all Linux, only last OS addition (21.10) gives "progress report " during boot.
It has been working since first install - by optioning "
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
" in grub.
It is a handy feature to see boot process / progress.
My default boot is UEFI / ubuntu and works perfectly.
Does each other boot , selecting from "grub" menu , uses its own "grub" and then
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

has to be optioned in each one of them?

If they (the other 2 Linux distros) don't automatically boot when selected from Grub than yes.
See my signature line.

Huh???
If I manually select from grub menu - you call that "automatic boot" ?
The only automatic is when "grub" runs the first entry - "ubuntu" "file ?"

Then I have no control which OS is actually loaded , and that defeats the purpose of (my)
multiboot.

I am using "OS operating system" term as generic - no distro or operating system ( such as DOS or Windoze) specific,

BTW the hardware UFI setup "boot sequence " shows several "ubuntu" options.
Not sure I want to mess with that.
I need to find the actual "ubuntu" files..."
When Grub loads on your screen how many entries do you have?
A screenshot will help if you can take one--

You should be able to use the arrow keys to move down to another Linux entry and boot into that.

IF you don't want the first Linux os entry in your Grub Menu to boot either use your arrow keys to select another os in the Menu or edit the /etc/default/grub file to reflect what you want.
Again a screenshot of your Grub Menu will help.

Last edited:
Yes, English is my mother language.

Please answer my question:-

Thanks, but sorry, I am not interested in socializing ..... ask again...

Would you kindly sugggest how to take a screen shot of "grub" menu (screeen) ?
There is no other application running at that point...
Use your tablet or phone to take a picture of the Grub Menu and all it's entries.

ADDENDUM
After "boot" a grub menu is displayed as text on the screen
The first option is "ubuntu" and then all the OS menus - such as /dev/sda2 etc.
1. where do I find the "ubuntu" file ?
2. since each grub menu executes its own OS - does each have /etc/default/grub file ?
Yes each os has it's own /etc/default/grub file.

That file controls which os boots first in the menu.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Alex ;) .

The OP has shown previously that he does not wish to respond to my input, so I'll take a back seat.

Wiz

Would you kindly sugggest how to take a screen shot of "grub" menu (screeen) ?
Press escape so that the counter doesn't keep counting down and the take a picture with your mobile phone's camera. You can only take an actual screenshot with an application if you are running a virtual machine using something like Virtualbox. It's not voodoo magic.

Last edited:
The OP has shown previously that he does not wish to respond to my input
Bloody fuss pot. Is handed the best researched info/instructions on the entire forum, and declines to respond ?!

There are other places to be.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Alex ;) .

The OP has shown previously that he does not wish to respond to my input, so I'll take a back seat.

Wiz
You're Welcome-:)

Are you all for real ? I have hasselblad camera - will that do?
You guys sure get bent out of shape when challenged and then you pout when ignored...
where does one reads , no take pictures, "ubuntu" - first entry in "grub" menu ?

UEFI hardware setup ???

I would advocate both you and potential Helpers take a read of your first Thread here, which was, in Australian time, Saint Patricks Day 17th March 2019, 2 years and 9 months ago.

https://www.linux.org/threads/linux-repository-issues.22550/

I, and others, have done nothing but try to help you since the get go.

The truth of the matter is that almost from the moment you arrived, you have been rude, failed to provide information, failed to read links suggested to you, and I could go on and on, about how you have progressively become more and more belligerent.

I cannot imagine why, if you are not happy with the place after all this time, you have not voted with your feet and gone elsewhere. You are using a free product (Linux), getting free service, and it is from volunteers who give freely of their time and their knowledge.

I have been a Moderator or higher, here, since I was invited to become one on July 19 2018.

If I hear one more peep out of you that is ungrateful, rude, or you can guess some other words I can think of, in the foreseeable future, then I will do what I have never done - suspend your account or ban you from Membership. That includes your being reported by other Members with a legitimate complaint.

You have been notified.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

OP has ~1600 'credits', all earned by constantly starting threads that go nowhere and are full of OP being obnoxious, belittling, combative, and unhelpful. None of those points are them actually interested in helping the community - and their actions tell us that they aren't going to change.

For the folks who wish to go through past threads, I ceased trying to help this user a while ago.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who helped (me) in resolving the issue, such help is very much appreciated.

What is not appreciated is to be publicly analyzed (
called rude ) , but it would be pointless to discuss that.

But in short - it is of no (expletive deleted ) self appointed moderator business to make such analysis - especially for everybody to see.

By same measure – it is of no business of mine when some forum participants signed up to became statisticians instead of real contributing technical gurus.

I just do not care about such misuses of forum and should be allowed to say so without beeing publickly threaten as I did .
In closing so respectfully and kindly allow me ( is that not rude enough?) to borrow this
:

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain

The OP might be best advised to follow Mr Clemens' advice himself.

Locking this Thread while I consider further action.

Thanks to Helpers.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online