GRUB “hanging” for multiple seconds before allowing input (Dual boot on a Surface Laptop 3 - Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04)

ignisnl

Reaction score
Credits
G'day all.

I've got Ubuntu 18.04.4 and Windows 10 dual booted on a Surface Laptop 3. I have GRUB configured to allow both Ubuntu and "Windows Boot Manager" to be chosen from it. However, whenever I start the laptop up, and after the initial Microsoft logo splash, there is always a period of about 15 seconds within which no keyboard input registers - not arrows, not Enter, etc. After about 15 seconds, a keyboard icon appears in the bottom right corner, at which point GRUB works completely as normal.

I know that this has nothing to do with GRUB_TIMEOUT, as the timer at the bottom that represents it is also frozen until the keyboard icon appears. I also believe that it is a GRUB-specific issue, as when I change to boot from Windows Boot Manager in the UEFI, Windows boots without any issues.

I've been searching online for a while and can't find anyone with a similar issue. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and what I could do to reduce this "hang" time or avoid it completely?

Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks in advance!

grub should be firing up windows for you by itself ; last time i had windows on same hd with linux i used Lilo and did manual edit to include windows . There was no need for any other boot options. I must admit with mbr , and now gpt, with or without secure or legacy via bios its getting confusing what is using what.

For instance with my laptop and slackware it gave me option of lilo to mbr (i said yes) then also offered elilo (i said yes) but i found its booting using elilo. I don't know if you have some sort of boot manager clash (maybe one of the mods or others might clarify)

for grub to see windows i guess you ran
# update-grub
// ?

I've been having the exact same issue on my Surface Laptop 3 and I've spent countless hours trying to understand the root of this issue. I've run systemd-analyze in an effort to try an narrow down the source of the problem, and the undeniable consequence is over 18 seconds spent on the loader (seen below). I'll be digging around, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this search.

I could be wrong but having 2 bootloaders configured may be the culprit:-

I was thinking that because you configured grub for Ubuntu and also for the Windows boot manager to be enabled, this might be why you have the 15 second delay.

Maybe try taking the Windows boot manager out of the equation and see if you still get the 15 second delay. Just a thought:-

I've been having the exact same issue on my Surface Laptop 3 and I've spent countless hours trying to understand the root of this issue. I've run systemd-analyze in an effort to try an narrow down the source of the problem, and the undeniable consequence is over 18 seconds spent on the loader (seen below). I'll be digging around, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this search.

View attachment 5516
Ah, forgot about that command. Will run it and see what the output is.

Just to confirm, I'm also having this issue on my surface laptop 3 using elementary os.
Did anyone solve this?

Same here with a Surface Pro 7 - I have been searching all over the internets. too ...

G'day all.

I've got Ubuntu 18.04.4 and Windows 10 dual booted on a Surface Laptop 3. I have GRUB configured to allow both Ubuntu and "Windows Boot Manager" to be chosen from it. However, whenever I start the laptop up, and after the initial Microsoft logo splash, there is always a period of about 15 seconds within which no keyboard input registers - not arrows, not Enter, etc. After about 15 seconds, a keyboard icon appears in the bottom right corner, at which point GRUB works completely as normal.

I know that this has nothing to do with GRUB_TIMEOUT, as the timer at the bottom that represents it is also frozen until the keyboard icon appears. I also believe that it is a GRUB-specific issue, as when I change to boot from Windows Boot Manager in the UEFI, Windows boots without any issues.

I've been searching online for a while and can't find anyone with a similar issue. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and what I could do to reduce this "hang" time or avoid it completely?

Let me know if you need any additional info. Thanks in advance!
Have read the timestamp issues are different so eventually thing are going to become uncontrollable.

Staff online