Group of Linux Oriented Questions.

Z1234

Reaction score
Credits
-I believe I will need to use the following -m statements:
-m limit, -m multiport, -m state, -m tcp
inside my iptables rules.

1) Do the modules, packages, or dependencies involved with these four iptables commands come by default with the latest stable distros of Linux? I think particularly of 64 bit Mint, OpenMandriva, Fedora, SystemRescueCD?

2) What is the default command line repository download and installer for latest stable OpenMandriva? Is it yum, or urpmi, or something else? How can I use that command line download and installer to display a # progress bar and percentage?

3) If I want do specify rules for dhcp on iptables, it strikes me that each Linux machine involved in a dhcp network needs two rules: an INPUT and an OUTPUT rule. I have gathered so far that I only need to know that dhcp uses the udp protocol, that defaults to port number 67. Will that be the only thing necessary, or needs there be more information specified? Does specifying two dhcp rules like this require a dhcp module, or in fact not?

4) If I am networking between one Linux machine and another, will both machines require INPUT and OUTPUT rules for a network discovery protocol, and then a network use protocol, to browse and edit files and directories, or mount the filesystem? Do two protocols, or more, need to be addressed and allowed, or only one? What are the default networking protocols modern, stable, latest versions of Linux use, certainly 64 bit Mint, OpenMandriva, Fedora, SystemRescueCD? Through blue ethernet cables, and via a modern wireless modem?

5) If I am doing Linux/Windows (10/11) Networking, and I am using Samba on the Linux machine, will I need a special iptables module for Samba, or not? What protocol do I specify for Samba, and what default port number?

6) After adding or removing or changing rules in iptables, iptables itself has to be saved, using one syntax statement or another. Is there a simple way to make iptables just remember changes persistently, by default?

Members online

Latest posts